Monday, 9 February 2015

Sweet Potato and Chickpea Soup

It seems that I am going through a bit of a cooking fad and making lots of soups. Maybe because they are quick and easy to make and perfect for wet, cold and miserable UK winters day.

I've also had a nasty cold – actually it's manflu, which of course is a lots worse :-) and I needed to make a healthy soup. One that is high in vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin c, to help combat this stupid cold.

As with all soups this is very easy to make and I will never understand why people buy them, when it so simple. It's also a good way to get children to get confidence in cooking

I also like a bit of a bite in my soup, so I don't add all the chickpeas before I blend and add them just before I serve the soup

  • 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves of chopped garlic
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
  • 400g chickpeas
  • Bunch of parsley, washed and chopped
  • 1ltr vegetable stock
  • salt and pepper to season
  • (serves 4)


Place the extra virgin oil into a pan and gently heat.

Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Stirring occasionally to ensure the onion and garlic do not burn

Place in the sweet potato, and half the chickpeas (keep the other half to one side) and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to mix all the ingredients together.



Add in the chopped parsley, mix together. Once mixed, pour in the vegetable stock and simmer for about 15 minutes.

Allow to cool a little bit and then blend together until you have a smooth liquid. If too thick add some more water until it's at the consistency you like

Add in the remaining chickpeas and simmer for 5-10 minutes

Season as required and serve with hot crusty bread.


1 comment:

Petra said...

I love soup of all kinds. I have never used chickepeas but it sounds great to tuck in to with the sweet potato and the parsley! :)