Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Potato Boulangere

 I love potatoes, but I always end up having them as mash, so it's always nice to prepare potatoes differently. This is similar to dauphinoise potatoes but instead of using cream it uses stock, so a lot less calorific, a lot less fat, but still very tasty with lots of flavour and very simple to make.

All the versions of this recipe I have seen ask you to peel the potatoes. I disagree and prefer to keep the skins on as it adds more fibre and adds a bite to it. Although I use vegetable stock, chicken stock is also fine.

I thinly slice the potatoes using a knife, but if you have a mandolin then I suggest you use it. To be honest mandolins scare the hell out of me and that I am going to lose top of a finger or 10.

  • 600g potatoes, thinly slice
  • 200g onions, sliced
  • 500ml vegetable stock
  • salt and pepper to season
  • (serves 3-4)


Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350c/gas 4

Take a oven proof bowl and place a layer of potatoes on the bottom, then place a layer of the onions and repeat until you have used up all the potatoes or onions or until you've reach the top of the bowl


Pour in the stock, until it reaches the top. Place tin foil over the bowl and cook for 1 hour.

After 45 minutes remove the foil, serve hot with any main recipe.



No comments: