Saturday, 2 February 2013

Spicy Curried Parsnip Soup


My friend Lyd, was going to Moscow for a short break and gave me a load of vegetables that would have gone off, because her husband, Raj hates them. In fact we joke about his phobic tendencies to vegetables unless he has them curried. So, with his wife being away I have decided to make a soup for him and he can't complain because I'm making spicy curried parsnip soup, he did say he liked his veggies curried.

One thing though about making soup in my hotel apartment is the lack of utensils, although I am in a different hotel before Christmas and this one has a better kitchen, it still lacks a lot of basic utensils. Mind you how many hotel apartments have you stayed in were they have a hand blender in the cupboard, so I had to compromise. I didn't have a measuring jug, I don't have a masher or as I said and hand blenders. So I made it up as I went along. Below are the utensils I had at hand, to measure and mash the parsnips with


I also put two green chillies to give it a kick. I might have been a bit stupid as it's very spicy, even for me. It's what I call a double burner, if you want to know what it means you'll have to leave a comment asking because it's not the nicest of descriptions :-) - bet that's got you thinking.......Apologies for the pictures, but I still do not have a camera and I'm relying on the iPhone 3, which is not very good.

25g butter
splash of oil
1 large onion, finely diced
2 green chillies (if it's too much 1 will do without the seeds
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
5 average size parsnips, diced
2 tbls curry powder
500ml vegetable stock
salt and pepper to season
250-500 water (maybe)
(serves 4 as starter)

Put the butter and oil into a pan, turn on the heat and let the butter melt.

Add the onion, chilli(es) and garlic and cook until the onions are soft, about 5-10 minutes stirring to ensure the garlic doesn't burn

Throw in the parsnips and mix into the onion mixture

Add the curry powder, again stir into the mixture and cook for about 4-5 minutes

Add the vegetable stock and cook for 10-15 minutes. If you have a blender, blend until smooth. If like me you've only got a slotted spoon, mash all the ingredients together.

Add more water if it's too thick for you.

Serve with fresh warm crusty bread.

4 comments:

Gillian Holmes said...

Sounds nice, I think I might try this today sans Chilli - don't want it too spicy, and perhaps Garam masala rather than curry powder.

I find Garam masala always peps up any soup that turned out too bland.

;)

Donkey said...

Hi Gillian

It was very nice, but maybe I'll not put quite so many chillies in next time.

Agree with Garam Masala and often use it to "pep" things up.

Did you make it and how did it go?

Petra said...

I can't believe you cook with such meager tools! And the parsnip soup sounds great! Parsnip is a wonderful veg!

Senka I said...

Hi,

We’ve recently launched the website Alldishes.co.uk. It’s a search engine that aims to gather all the best recipes from UK and Irish websites and blogs. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://alldishes.co.uk or send us an email on info@alldishes.co.uk. We look forward to hearing from you!
Kind regards,
Senka