Saturday, 20 October 2012

White Fish Served With Red Pepper and Mushroom Cous Cous


GRRR ever have one of those days at work were nothing goes right. I was in by 0745 and within 5 minutes it went wrong. As the day progressed it just got worse, the client had a moan, my boss had a go, the software I support wasn't working and then the client came back again and had another moan. I got home at 1745, I was on a conference call at 1800 and I upset the software vendors as they didn't like it that I had a moan at them. When it finished at 1830, I had a quick phone call with my colleague to discuss the conference call a very very irritating day. When I got off the phone I started to relax as I was going to prepare a dish that I had no idea if it would work and I was really happy to try it out. As I started to prepare my dish all my “”crap” at work, just slipped away.

With two silly hobs, a microwave, one big saucepan and one small frying pan (apologies for keep harping on about my limited kitchen I promise to stop moaning – I mean – commentating on it) I made a steamed white fish, with herbs and lemon and served I it with a red pepper and mushroom cous cous. It all came together very well and it was a very moist, firm piece of fish and the cous cous was lovely and light, if a little too salty, but I was using a new stock I'd never used before and will next time go very lightly with the salt. It is hard to get cod in Dubai and so I am using Basa, which is a kind of catfish from Vietnam.

Oh and if the day wasn't bad enough, after I took the pictures for this recipe, the battery on my camera died and I left the charger at home in the UK so apologies for no pictures, yet. GRRR.

For the White Fish
  • 2 pieces of tin foil to cover the fish
  • 2 filleted white fish
  • 1 lemon, with two lemon slices for each fish
  • 2 tsp mixed herbs
  • 20g butter
  • salt and pepper to season
For the Cous Cous


  • 10g butter
  • splash of oil
  • 1 red pepper, washed and diced
  • 100g mushrooms, cleaned and diced
  • 200g cous cous
  • chicken stock – depends on the water
  • boiling water enough to cover the cous cous


Take the tin foil and place a piece of fish into each piece.

Chop the lemon in half and squeeze half onto each piece of fish. Add the half the butter and half the mixed herbs into one piece of fish and the rest into the other piece of fish.

Add seasoning and roll up the tin foil so there are no gaps or air holes for the steam to escape.

Place some boiling water in a pan, so that it does not cover the fish, but only comes up about halfway. Place a lid on the pan and gently simmer for about 10 minutes

For the Cous Cous

Place the butter and oil into a frying pan and let the butter melt.

Throw in the red peppers and mushrooms and cook for about 3-5 minutes or longer if you prefer them softer.

Place the cous cous into a microwaveable bowl. Place the stock in enough boiling water that it will just cover the cous cous and let it soak into the grains.

Place the soaked grains into a microwave and cook on high for two minutes.

Once completed, pour the gently fried red peppers and mushrooms into the cous cous, add some thyme and seasoning if required.

Serve on a plate, pouring the lemon juice and melted butter over the fish.

1 comment:

Petra said...

Ah, we all have those days - am sure they are not meant to be at all but hard to know when you get out of bed!

Sounds delicious and I feel the same when I cook, it is like therapy! :)