Monday, 1 October 2012

The Alma - Restaurant Review



I'm not doing very well last week I went to Thomas Cubitt and had a roast dinner and although I really enjoyed it, I moaned about roast potatoes which are never as good as home-made. So I don't normally eat roast dinner when in a restaurant. Well yesterday I went to The Alma, a gastro pub in Wandsworth and guess what I had, yep a roast dinner. I do have a perfect excuse, I'm off to live in Dubai for a couple of months or more, and I know they are not big on roast dinners. Who wants a roastie when it's 30C during the winter months. So, I decided that it's going to be a while before I have another decent roastie and so I would order one, but not eat the roast potatoes.

I also made a mistake, like Thomas Cubitt, by ordering a starter, which my friend and I shared. Its was a selection of meats, like chorizo picante, Iberia salami, with machengo cheese, some lovely tomato sardines with some wonderful Spanish olives. I thought if we shared a starter we wouldn't be too full after eating our main course – how wrong was I. The starters was very tasty and the toast, that came with it, was light and just enough to enjoy the meats and cheese.


Although they had a selection of other dishes, I was going for a roastie, as I mentioned earlier. They had four different of roast dinners, chicken, beef, stuffed rolled pork belly or the big one, called Chefs Roast. This was a quarter of chicken, a portion of stuffed rolled pork belly and a thick slice of roast beef with the trimmings. The trimming, on the plate, were a delicious yorkshire pudding, diced parsnip with red onions, red cabbage, spring greens, mange tout, cranberry sausage meat, which we both ordered. Unknown to us another plate was brought out containing the roast potatoes and lightly boiled vegetables of carrots, cauliflower and courgettes. Everything was very well cooked, although still didn't like the roast potatoes, but then I am very fussy. The meat were all well cooked, the beef lovely and pink, the chicken firm and moist with lovely seasoned crispy chicken skin and the pork was firm with a delicious stuffing. All the vegetables were well cooked and the highlight was the diced parsnip and red onions, which I thought together might be too sweet but wasn't and complimented the whole plate very well.



By the end of the meal I was very full and couldn't eat another thing. So if you decide to have a roast dinner in a restaurant or gastro pub, do not have a starter beforehand. I am going to have to do a lot of running to work this delicious lunch off.

The waiting staff were very professional and I have to give a special mention to Laura who was exceptional and made our experience even more enjoyable. She is an asset to the pub and hopefully will get to be served with her again. It was a real joy and pleasure to be served by her. That is not to say the other staff were bad, because weren't but Laura just went that little extra mile

I've eaten there before and can highly recommend this gastro pub at any time of the day, not just a Sunday lunch. Just a shame I am going away as I would be back sooner rather than later.

2 comments:

Petra said...

It sounds like a very filling meal and I love your quest for the perfect roast potato! I bet you make them better yourself :)

Donkey said...

I can't help it, I love roast potatoes and as long as you have the right kind of potatoes they are easy enough to make, even if they are deep fried. Well at least it's going to be a while before I get to have a roastie :-)