Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Salmon Rice with Vegetables


I'm not doing to well at blogging at the moment. What with doing a full time job, trying to train for a marathon, visiting places whilst I'm in Dubai and having a lousy kitchen my food regime is very restrictive and quiet frankly cannot always be bothered to make something new. I've done several dishes, but because they aren't a super wow, just an average recipe I'm not sure if I should write them up. Maybe you can help, this is one of those recipes which I made up. To be fair I really enjoyed it and will make again because it's so tasty and easy.

I had made a chicken curry last night and had some left over rice, which I didn't want to throw away, so I stuck it in the fridge and wondered how I could cook it up. The following evening I scanned the fridge and bought a few vegetables and decided to make a dish with salmon and rice and this is what I came up with. You can use any vegetables and I just used what I had in the fridge at the time.

  • Knob of butter
  • 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely diced
  • 1 chilli, finely sliced (optional)
  • 1 carrot, cleaned and diced (not peeled, just washed)
  • 1 yellow pepper, diced
  • 2 bok choi
  • cooked rice (amounts up to you)
  • 1 tbsp thyme
  • chicken stock (diluted in a bit of hot water)
  • 300g salmon, chopped
  • salt and pepper to season


Place the butter and oil into a pan. Once warm add the onion and cook for a few minutes.
Add the garlic and chilli and cook for a further 5 minutes

Add the carrot, yellow pepper and cook and stir for a further 5 minutes. Throw in the bok choi and cook for another 2 minutes.

Add the rice, stir together, add the thyme cook, frequently stirring for about 5 minutes.

Add the chicken stock and keep stirring until the water has evaporated.

Throw in the salmon, stirring until the salmon is cooked, this took me less then 5 minutes, but it's up to you. I like my salmon a bit raw, but you can do it longer.

Serve on a plate with a nice cold glass of wine (I wish)....

1 comment:

Petra said...

It sounds very fresh and healthy! It looks as if you are doing really well cooking with such limited resources!