Saturday, 22 September 2012

Turkish Meatballs


I started making the second recipe from the Tesco For Real Living magazine because it was another great sounding recipe. Unlike last time I decided I wouldn't tweak it and see how it goes, but as I was preparing the dish, things weren't going as planned, not the recipe but how to prepare it, so

The recipe was full of lovely flavour with the cumin and cinnamon adding a wonderful savoury and sweet flavour to the lamb and the rich tomato sauce. The only problem was the meatballs started to fall apart when I was trying to brown them, but I managed to keep them from falling apart completely and managed to get them to keep there shape. Next time I do them I will grate the onion and remove the moisture like I do with the burgers. They asked for 16 meatballs, but I thought they were too small and only made 12 decent size ones. I also browned them in a frying pan as there wasn't enough room in my heat resistant casserole dish to put them all in. So I did do a far amount of “tweaking”, but again I will give Tesco's the credit.

Apologies because my photo taking is seriously going down hill, must do better. The picture I've taken doesn't do justice to the recipe.
  • 500g lamb
  • 1 medium egg
  • 2 onions. finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp paprika
  • 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 30ml dill – most chopped
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 800g tinned chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp clear honey
  • handful of pine nuts
  • Greek yoghurt to serve
  • (serves 4)

Pre-heat the oven to 150c/300f/gas 2

Place the lamb into a bowl with the egg. Then add half of the cumin, cinnamon, paprika, garlic and dill. Mix together until completely combined, I found it best with my hand.

Take some of the mixture and roll into a ball and place on a plate, repeat until you have 12 even size meatballs.

Heat the oil in a pan and add the meatballs and keep turning until the balls are browned.

Place the tinned tomatoes and the rest of the cumin, cinnamon, paprika, garlic and dill into a casserole dish and mix together.

Stir in the honey and gently add the meatballs into the tomato sauce and place into the pre-heated oven and cook for about 1 hour 45 minutes.

Put a pan on to a stove and gently heat. Add the pine nuts and gently toast them. Once brown place into a bowl.

Place the meatballs and sauce onto a plate, place on some great yoghurt and some toasted pine nuts and the left over dill.

Serve with rice or cous cous.

No comments: