Saturday, 15 September 2012

Scrambled Eggs with Fish


I have mentioned before that I like to skulk around the reduced section of our local supermarket and was there the other day and purchased some fish pie mix. I love fish mix, but far to tight to pay full price for it and so when it's in the reduced section I always purchase it. One pack makes me four lunch time meals. My favourite being a miso soup with vegetables, fish mix, dried seaweed, noddles and a big spicy red chilli. It's very tasty, it's low in fat, low in salt and I think very healthy.

Anyway, I'm waffling on and getting boring, so this morning I looked into the fridge and found I had some eggs that needed to be used up, so decided to have some scrambled eggs. I began to wonder if the fish mix would work with the eggs? I can almost here some of you gagging, but a very common breakfast, and one that I enjoy very much, is scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, so why shouldn't it work. The fish pie mix is salmon, cod and smoked haddock, so the smokiness from the haddock should come through like a smoke salmon version, the cod is fairly innocuous and the salmon just adds a little background flavour. So with added seasoning (being careful with the salt because of the smoked haddock) and a touch of mustard I threw it altogether and was very pleased at how it came out. The smoked haddock didn't overpower it, the mustard added a little hit of heat and I have a feeling this might become a popular breakfast in my house. Like my noddle lunch, its' very quick, it's low in fat, fairly low in salt and healthier than most breakfasts and that is also assuming I can get the fish mix in the reduced section, as still not going to pay full price for it :-)

  • knob of butter
  • 25g fish pie mix, roughly chopped into smaller pieces
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ tsp english mustard
  • salt and pepper to season
  • 2 pieces of toast (preferably wholemeal and home made).
  • (serves 1)


Add the knob of butter into a heated pan, once melted add the fish mix and stir together on a low heat

Add the egg, mustard and seasoning into a bowl and mix together, whilst occasionally stirring the fish.

Once the fish looks cooked add the eggs mixture and stir until all the egg has scrambled.

Serve on the toast or on the side, with a large mug of tea – a perfect breakfast.

No comments: