Wednesday, 5 September 2012

Pork with Wine



I am a bit of a tight wad ( someone who doesn't like to spend money) and whenever I'm in my local supermarket I go straight to the fridge that contains the fresh food that is reduced. In fact many of the recipes I've but on this blog are based on what I purchase from the reduce section. Apart from getting food at reduced prices, it also challenges me, because I have to make something out of what I purchase and I never know what it will be. This is one of those recipes, I was suppose to make it with cider, but forget to purchase it and as I had wine at home (which I never run out of) I used that instead. This is a light dish and fine for all kinds of weather, but it yet another recipe that needs to be cooked for as long as possible, so that the pork is tender.
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • salt and pepper to season
  • 450g diced pork
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • 1 onion, finely sliced
  • 1 clove of garlic, crushed
  • 150g mushrooms, quartered
  • 2 celery sticks, diced
  • 150ml wine
  • 500 chicken stock
  • 1 tsp fresh or dried tarragon
  • 150g crème fraiche
  • salt and pepper to season (optional)
  • (serves 4 or 2 if you eat a lot like us)


Place the flour into a bowl and season with salt and pepper and mix together. Place in the diced pork and mix until the pork is covered by the flour

Place 2 tbsp of oil into a pan and bring to a high heat. Place some of the pork to pan and brown. Once browned, remove from pan and throw in some more pork and brown. Do this until all the pork is complete

Turn down the heat and add the other 1tbps of oil and add the sliced onions. Cook the onions for about 5 minutes stirring occasional to stop them from browning.

Add the crushed garlic and stir into the onions and cook for another 2 minutes.

Put the browned pork, mushrooms and diced celery into the onion mixture and stir altogether and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.

Turn up the heat and add the wine and bring to a rapid boil and cook until only half amount of wine is left.

Turn down the heat and add the chicken stock and leave until it come to the boil.


Once boiling turn the heat further to the lowest flame, stir again and leave to cook until pork is tender. I actually cooked it for 3 hours, but then I do love slow cooked food.

If you want to can add more salt and pepper to season, but be careful as you seasoned the flour and it's easy to over season with salt.

Turn off the heat when ready to serve and leave for a few minutes and then stir in the crème fraiche.
Serve with rice, cous cous. If you don't add the crème fraiche then you could also serve with mashed potatoes.



No comments: