Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Beef and Ale Stew

Beef and Ale Stew - my picture is not as good as Tesco's lol

Well my favourite period of the year is fast approaching, yep sorry to say I love autumn and winter – why would I like the the cold seasons – simple – great slow cooked stews and casseroles which are full bodied with a full rich flavour, lovely. As I've not cooked a stew for a while I needed to get some practise so this is a new recipe which I got from the latest Tesco Magazine, called For Real Living. I have tweaked the recipe quiet a lot and added more ingredient so I could almost call it my own version, but more than half is from them, so I decided to recognise the fact.

The magazine has some good recipes and I will be trying at least three of them this week, but like this recipe I might tweak them a bit to. Below is the picture from the magazine, but if you look at the picture you will see carrots in the stew, but they don't list it as an ingredient, but seeing as I love carrots in stew I decided to add some. I wonder if I should tell them or would that make me sad, meaning I've got far to much time on my hand as there are better things I could be doing with my time :-)

Tesco's version didn't list carrots but you can see them in the picture


  • 1tbsp flour
  • salt and pepper to season
  • 500g diced beef
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 330ml Belgian beer
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 onions roughly sliced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, bruised but left whole
  • 2 celery sticks, sliced
  • 1 carrot, sliced
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp muscovado sugar
  • 1 tbsp red/white wine vinegar
  • beef stock cube.
  • (serves 2 with left over for lunch)


  • optional - big croutons
  • 100g emmental cheese, finely grated
  • 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
  • 4 thick slice baguette, cut on the diagonal
  • (serves 2 with left over for lunch)


Pre-heat the oven to 150c/300f/gas 2

Place the flour into a bowl, season with salt and pepper and mix together. Place in the beef and mix into the flour mixture.

Place the vegetables in a heat resistant casserole dish and place on the hob and bring to a high heat.

Add 100g of beef into the hot oil and brown off. Once browned remove the beef and repeat until all the beef has been completed

Turn the heat right down and add some of the beer into the bottom and scrape off any of the caramelised bits on the bottom of the casserole dish. Once all remove pour the liquid into a bowl and place to one side.

Return the casserole dish to the heat and add the extra virgin olive oil. Once the oil has heated add the onions, garlic, celery, carrot, thyme and bay leaves and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and do not allow to burn

Add the wine vinegar and mix together and then add the beef and all the beer into the dish and bring to the boil

Once boiling remove from the hob and place in the oven and cook for 1 hour 45 minutes, stirring occasionally or 2 hours 30 minutes if you are not having croutons.

Croutons

Take the grated emmental and thyme and mix together. Spread the wholegrain mustard on the sliced baguettes. Then sprinkle the cheese and thyme mix on the bread

Place them on top of the beef stew and place back into the oven and cook for another 30 minutes. Keep the lid off but keep an eye on the liquid of the stew in case it starts to dry out. If it starts to dry out add some warm water, carefully as not to knock over the “croutons!.

If having croutons just serve in a bowl. If serving without croutons then serve with brown rice or mashed potatoes and vegetables.

2 comments:

Petra said...

Your stew looks delicious! I love stews and soups in the fall and winter and the croutons, what a great idea.

I think you should tell Tesco about the tweaks you made an agree, carrots always belongs in a stew!

Jeff. said...

MMmmmmm ...... will have to give this a try ... will make a change from The Chicken Casseroles I usually do ;-0