Friday, 17 August 2012

Chilli Peppers


I've got a lot of mince beef in my freezer and thought it was time to start using it up and I wanted to make something different. I was tired, after doing a 16km run and didn't want a complicated dish with lots of elements. I just wanted something fairly easy and this seem perfect.

This is basically chilli con carne stuffed into green peppers, but by using low fat beef and serving it with salad it can become a healthy meal. You can add more chilli if, like me, you like a big kick, or you can actually reduce it, but then it's not really a chilli and I don't see the point.


You can cut the peppers in two different ways, either cutting the tops off and keeping the peppers whole or cutting them in half. I tried them both ways to find out which baked better. I preferred the whole peppers as the kidney beans got a little burnt in the peppers were cut in half and also the chilli didn't dry out so much in the whole peppers. If you would prefer to cut the peppers in half then I suggest you top the chilli with cheese to stop the beans from burning.

  • 4 green peppers
  • 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
  • 350g / 12½oz mince beef
  • 100g / 4oz mushroom, finely sliced
  • 150ml / ¼ pint of beef stock
  • 1 or 2tsp chilli powder
  • 2tbsp tomato purée
  • 400g / 140z kidney beans
  • salt and pepper to season
  • (serves 4)


Put the peppers into boiling salted water and blanch for about 1 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/gas 4

Gently heat up the oil in a frying pan and add the onions and fry for about four minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes. Stirring occasionally as not to burn the onions or garlic.

Add the beef into the onions and stir together and cook until all the mince has browned.

Add the mushrooms, beef stock, chilli powder, kidney beans and stir altogether and add any seasoning you require and cook for about 10 minutes.

Spoon chilli beef mixture into the green peppers and place them into an oven proof dish and place into the oven for about 30 minutes.

Serve with salad, roasted vegetable cous cous


2 comments:

Petra08 said...

I love the sound of this, hearty and healthy food and a 16k run! wow :)

Donkey said...

They were tasty and very easy to make. The run did hurt and I think I've been foolish as I'm about to throw my hat into doing the Brighton Marathon next year....I wonder if I would be allowed to jump in a cab half way around the course :-) lol