Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Chicken Burgers with Tarragon and Lemon

Chicken Burger on a Bun

Our local supermarket stopped stocking chicken mince, which is a real pain, as I used it a lot because it was so versatile. When I asked a member of staff why, they did know but had just stopped selling it, which is really annoying. I suppose I could have made my own mince, but I don't have a mincer and also who else makes there own mince? The other day I was walking through Golders Green and came across a kosher butchers and decided to have a look around and much to my pleasure there in front me was some good old chicken mince, I was so please that I ended up buying a lot of it and sticking so much in my freezer I don't have room for much else, I think I might have overdone it.

Now that I'd got some I had to decide what to make. I love chicken burgers but always make the same, with cumin and coriander see recipe here, but it was time to make them differently. After a bit of talk between my other half and me, it was decided I would make the burgers with lemon and tarragon. Tarragon is a great herb, but you have to be careful because it is a very strong and can easily overpower any dish. If you were like me and cannot get chicken mince then you could also use turkey or pork, but will not be as tasty as well with either beef or lamb.

I don't use eggs to help bind the ingredients together, but if they is too much liquid in the burgers then they will break up when being cooked. So you have to remove as much liquid from the onions as possible. You can either grate the onions or stick them in a food blender. Once grated you now have to squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible. I have not yet found an easy answer to this, so get ready for some painful onion eyes. Put the grated onions onto a board, slightly lift the board and then squeeze as much of the liquid out as much as you can. If you can think of another way of removing the liquid from the onions with a less painful method, please let me know..

  • 500g chicken mince
  • red onion, grated and squeezed
  • 2 tbsp tarragon, finely chopped
  • 2 grated lemon zest
  • salt and pepper to season
  • 2 tbsp olive oil


Put all the ingredients, apart from the olive oil, into a bowl and mix together. I love doing this with my hands, but if you want you can use a spoon or fork.

Divide the meat into four portions and form into patties, see below

Burgers divided into four 
Put the oil into a pan and gently heat. Place the patties into the heated oil and cook for about 20 minutes or until the burgers are completely cooked and golden brown.

There are many ways to serve these, either in buns with tomatoes, cucumber, fake cheese (processed cheese). Today I served them with a Halloumi salad, which I will write up soon.

Burgers with Cucumber and Tomatoes

Halloumi Salad

2 comments:

Petra said...

I completely agree with you that chicken mince is the best! My local supermarket stopped it as well and ever since I have been thinking of getting a mincer!
Am getting so hungry reading this am thinking chicken for dinner tonight! It looks great and I love the chicken & tarragon combination!

Donkey said...

Why did the supermarkets just stop, it was always selling out and never in the reduce section. I should know as it's the first place I go when shopping as it's great for making you think of recipes on the spot.

I am not a massive fan of tarragon as dishes I've had have been to overpowering, but I think I get the measurements just right for these burgers.