Friday, 24 August 2012

Beef and Chorizo Hotpot with Tortilla and Guacamole

Beef and Chorizo Hotpot
The other day I had one of my favourite dinners, Spanish chicken and chorizo, which is a great dish as the lovely smoky flavour from the chorizo is released into the sauce. As I was only cooking for two of us (although I made enough for four, as I love it for lunch the next) I had some chorizo left over and wondered what to do with it. I did a bit of research and found a great recipe chorizo with savoy cabbage with mushroom mash, from one of my favourite food blogs, Petra08's Weblog. I did some more searching and came across another recipe for a beef and chorizo hotpot. At first it didn't actually appeal as I wasn't actually sure if it would work, beef and smoked pork. After a while  I started change my mind, as the oil from the chorizo would give the tomato sauce a deep flavour, like the chicken and chorizo dish, but wouldn't overpower the beef. Now I was in a dilemma, chorizo and cabbage or the hotpot, it was so close I had to flip and coin, hotpot it was – sorry Petra, next time :-)

I served the hotpot with flour tortillas and guacamole, now you could buy both of them, but I wouldn't be a good food blogger if I did, so I made my own. The tortilla recipe I used was rubbish and had to add a lot more flour than listed and only just managed to save them so I have not listed how to make them on this post. The guacamole on the other was wonderful and it's so easy to make, why would anybody buy the bland and runny stuff from the supermarkets.

You can either do a quick or long version of this recipe. If you are going to do the quick version, I suggest you use a good cut of beef, like sirloin. If cooking for a long time, like me, then use cheaper cuts of beef as it will tenderise during the long cooking process.

You can also place some crème fraiche or sour cream on top of the guacamole if you like. I used crème fraiche as better for you and I prefer the taste.

  • Beef and Chorizo Hotpot
  • 3tbsp oil
  • 400g diced beef
  • 1 red onion, cut in half and finely sliced
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 red pepper, de-seeded, cut in half and then sliced
  • ½ chorizo (if you like it spicy the get chorizo picante
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 400g tinned tomatoes
  • salt and pepper to season



Put the oil into a pan and bring up to a high heat. Add the beef a few pieces at a time to brown and seal. Once browned remove from the pan and place onto a plate and repeat until all the beef has browned.

Turn the heat down and add the onion, garlic, pepper, chorizo and smoked paprika into the pan and stir and cook for about 5 minutes
.
frying red onion, red pepper, garlic, chorizo and smoked paprika
Add the tinned tomatoes, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook for as long as possible. I cooked it for 3 hours and removed the lid to reduce the liquid.

if doing the quick version, place the tomatoes into the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes.

tomatoes added to chorizo mixture
Place a warm tortilla into a bowl, place some hotpot on the tortilla and then place the guacamole on top with cream fraiche or sour cream to top. Get another warm tortilla, break a piece off and with your hands pick up the hotpot between the piece of tortilla. Or if you prefer use cutlery, but it isn't as much fun.

  • Guacamole
  • 2 chilli (remove seeds if you don't want it to spicy)
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 tomatoes, finely cut up
  • bunch of coriander
  • 4 ripe advocado
  • 1 tbsp lime juice



Place the chillies, onion, tomatoes and coriander into a blender, and blitz, but not to much as you don't want a runny liquid.

Cut the avocados in half, remove the stone and spoon out the flesh and place it into a bowl.

With a fork, break up the avocados, but not to finely. Add the blitz mixture and stir into the advocado. Mix in the lime juice and place in a serving bowl.

Guacamole

Beef and Chorizo Hotpot with warm Tortilla , Guacamole and Creme Fraiche


2 comments:

Petra said...

It looks great! I might have gone for this as well! :) With the cooler weather will do something similar this weekend!

Donkey said...

It was a tough decision, as I loved the idea of chorizo and savoy cabbage. If you try it I loved to know what you think.