Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Doro Wot


As mentioned in the Black Bean Soup post, I've got my grubby little hands on a lot of African recipes, via the Food Chain, recipes from Ghana, Sierra Leone and South Africa, etc. I've only every eaten Ethiopian and Eritrean, from the African continent before, in a restaurant called Adulis in Clapham Junction and so decided I would make two staple recipes, Ingera Bread and Doro Wot.

Ingera bread is a flat bread made with soda water and doro wot is a chicken stew. Wot means stew and you can use red meat for this recipe but it's called beg wot. Doro wot also also has hard boiled eggs in them and if you've read previous posts you will know I hate hard-boiled eggs with a passion. Although I decided to try and eat some and got through about a quarter of an egg before my head and stomach said enough. Who knows maybe I will get over my hatred for them and will one day eat a whole hard-boiled egg on it's own, but I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you.

Ethiopian food is very hands on because you should eat the food with your hands, by tearing the injera and picking up the stew with the bread. Perfect, less cutlery to wash up or stick in the dishwasher

My attempt to make the injera bread was a complete failure, the recipe didn't seem to work at all, and I had to use double the amount of soda water as listed. Also it tasted awful, not the injera I've had in restaurants so have not listed the recipe here. But will find another version and will try that out, as I’ve got lots of other Ethiopian recipes. So I served the Doro Wot with rice, another Ethiopian staple.

This recipe says to use either red chillies or a spice blend called berbere. When I researched what was in berbere I decided to make some the day before, see recipe HERE. The spice blend has a lot of spices and adds a lot of flavour to the dish, but just using red chili is fine.

  • 125g/4oz butter
  • 4 large onions, diced
  • 185g/6oz tomato paste
  • 750ml/1¼pint of water
  • 10g/2 tsp garlic salt
  • 5g/1tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 red chillies/2tsp berbere mix (see bottom if you want to make the berbere mix)
  • 1kg/2lb chicken pieces
  • 4 hard-boiled eggs


Melt the butter in a heavy based saucepan and sauté the onions for about 10 minutes or until golden.

Stir in the tomato paste with 125ml (4fl oz) water to form a creamy paste. Stir the paste into the onions with garlic salt, black pepper, chillies/berbere and cook for 2-3 minutes

Add the rest of the water and simmer gently on a low heat for about 10 minutes.



Prick each piece of chicken and each egg all over with a fork and add them into the simmering sauce, this will allow the sauce to infuse into the chicken and eggs.


Stir well to ensure the chicken and eggs are well coasted in the sauce. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken and eggs have absorbed the flavours of the sauce.
The chicken should be tender and the sauce should have thickened slightly and serve with rice.

If you make injera successfully then place one piece on a plate, place some doro wot on top and then get another piece of injera and use that to pick up the stew. You also use the bottom piece of injera, which is lovely as the stew has soaked into the bread.

2 comments:

Petra08 said...

It has a great vibrant colour! Will have a look in to Ethiopian food, just got some tips for Nigerian restaurants in London and want to try one! African food is a whole new world to me.

Donkey said...

You'll have to let me know about the Nigerian restaurants as would like to try it out.
It was very tasty, shame about the injera.