Saturday, 9 June 2012

Gnocchi with Tomato and Mushroom Sauce


My otherhalf thinks I'm a food snob, because I don't like having pre-made sauces, like Dolmio, Homepride etc, in our house. Although if I'm pushed I will just allow Lloyd Grossman's, but even then very rarely -  oh my god, I am a food snob. This irritates my other half because he actually likes them as they are quick and easy to use. If I'm out and he's cooking dinner he uses them, but I can always tell when he has. But time and time again I have proved that you can rustle up a sauce so quickly that you don't need these pre-made sauces with all there "extra" ingredients

I am cheating, because I am not making my own gnocchi, but this dish is more about the sauce than the gnocchi and about speed. I won the argument because he did really love this recipe and there wasn't a glass jar in site.

  • 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 300g/11oz mushrooms, sliced
  • 400g/14oz tinned chopped tomatoes
  • 100g/4oz parmesan
  • 1tbsp fresh basil, ripped
  • salt and pepper to season
  • 1 packet of gnocchi
  • (serves 4 for starter or 2 for main)


Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic and slowly cook until the onions are soft.

Add the sliced mushrooms and stir into the onion and garlic mixture and cook for 5 minutes.

Throw in the tomatoes and basil and mix together and cook for a few minutes.

Add the parmesan and stir again until it has completely melted and then season. Be careful with the salt as the parmesan will already be salty. Cook with the lid off until the liquid has reduced, this will take about 10 minutes.

Follow the instructions on packet of gnocchi, which is normally add to boiling water. Bring back to the boil and cook for about three minutes or until the gnocchi is floating at the top of the pan.

Sieve the gnocchi and put them back into the pan and then add the tomato mixture and gently stir together and serve in bowls. Garnish with some ripped fresh basil

No comments: