Friday, 22 June 2012

Pasta with Spicy Bacon and Tomato Sauce


I had the house to myself last night and I could be bothered to go our local supermarket, due to still being under the weather and couldn't face the hordes of dozy people walking around like lost sheep – oh I should mention the pills I'm on make me drowsy and grumpy – can you tell

Anyway I digress, I wanted something quick, full bodied dish with a punch which I could serve with lots of carbohydrates to give me some energy to help compensate for the pills I am taking. I did a quick scan of my cupboards and fridge a decided to make spaghetti with a spicy bacon and parsley tomato sauce.

I wanted large onion pieces so cut them Asian style again, which is thickly cut along the grain of the onion

I used smoked bacon lardons but normal smoked bacon is fine (just cut them up into pieces). It must be smoked as unsmoked doesn't have the same impact of flavour on the dish. Actually I don't see the point of unsmoked bacon and it's got no real flavour.

I am also using the seeds of the chillies but if you don't like it that spicy, just use one chilli and remove the seeds, but I should stress this does reduce the punch of the dish

  • 180g-200g/7oz smoked bacon lardons
  • 1tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion, thickly cut Asian style
  • 1 large clove of garlic
  • 2 red chillies, sliced and with seeds
  • 400g/14oz tinned tomatoes
  • 4tbsp/2oz fresh curly parsley chopped
  • (serves 4 for starter or 2 for main)


Place the bacon lardons in a pan and bring to a high heat to brown the bacon and to start to release the fat.

Once brown remove from the pan, turn down the heat and add the oil and throw in the onions.

Stirring avocationally cook for 5 minutes, they will turn a little brown, from the caramelised bacon on the bottom of the pan, do not worry as it helps with the flavour

Add the garlic and chillies and cook for a few more minutes, making sure the garlic doesn't burn.

Add the tomatoes, cook for 5 minutes and then add all the chopped parsley and cook for another 5 minutes.

Serve with any pasta, I used spaghetti (as that is all I had), but a round pasta like conchiglie would be better as it's captures the tomato sauce.

No comments: