Thursday, 28 June 2012

Chicken and Peanut Stew


Now that I am only on 16 painkillers a day, for my cervical spondylosis, I decided I need to do a run, as the charity run I am doing is taking place on the 8th July and so running (excuse the pun) out of time. It was a good run and I had no problems with my neck or arms, although my legs ache like hell. The charity run is part of my campaign to raise money for the Food Chain and as I said in a previous post I have permission to write up some recipes the charity uses.

This recipe is based on a traditional African dish, but made healthier. There are two version of this recipe one for weight gain and the other for weight lose. I have chosen the weight gain version because it is very important for people who are HIV+ to maintain a good weight, as the virus and drugs suppress the appetite and so need more calories per meal. The other reason is for me to gain energy for my run. At the bottom of this post I will list the slight difference in the recipe for weight loss.

When I first read this recipe I thought it was odd to add peanut butter as it's not an ingredient I ever used in cooking, apart from on toast. Whilst cooking the dish I was tasting as I went along but was thinking the dish was a bit bland, but once I added the peanut butter it amazingly brought the recipe together.

This recipe is simple with a gentle flavour with a little kick, from the chilli. I removed the skin from the chicken to make it healthier as it had less fat

If you would like to help me raise money for the charity 10K run you can at www.justgiving.com/keiferderrin. If you want to know more about the charity or even volunteer please go to www.foodchain.org.uk

  • 1tbsp vegetable oil
  • 4 chicken thighs, skin and bone removed
  • Onion, finely sliced
  • 1 large potato peeled and diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1tsp ground cumin
  • 1tsp chilli flakes
  • 200ml water
  • 50g/1.5oz peanut butter
  • 400g/14oz canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • salt and pepper to season
  • serve with brown rice
  • (serves 4)


Add the oil to a pan and bring to a high heat, brown the chicken and move to a plate

Turn down the heat and add onion, potato and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and spices and cook for a couple of a 2 minutes.

Stir in the water and return the chicken to the pan, including the any of the juices that have leaked out.

Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.

Stir in the peanut butter and chick peas and simmer for another 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Also you may have to add some more water.

If doing the lose weight version just use 30g/1oz peanut butter and serve with salad.

No comments: