Monday, 4 June 2012

Chicken and Asparagus Pasta


I had some passata left over from making  Pork Ribs and Beans and it was coming to the end of it's shelf live. As I had some chicken in the freezer and some asparagus in the fridge I decided to make a quick and easy chicken and asparagus sauce for pasta, bet you didn't see that coming.... This is very quick and easy to make, which is SO unlike me.

Normally I would use chicken thighs, but I only had chicken breast in the freezer, which actually works well with this recipes because it doesn't have a long cooking time. I also find that chicken breast dries out if you cook it for a long time, even in a sauce.

  • 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
  • 500g diced chicken
  • 350g passata
  • 200g asparagus, chopped
  • 1tsp tarragon
  • 1tbsp liquid
  • chicken stock
  • salt and pepper to season
  • (serves 4)

Put the oil into a pan and bring to a medium heat. Place in the onion and cook for 3 minutes and then add the garlic. Cook for another 3 minutes until they are soft. Stir occasionally to stop them from burning.

Add in the chicken and stir into the onion mixture and cook for 5 minutes again stirring occasionally.

Pour in the passata, add the asparagus, tarragon and chicken stock and stir together. Season to taste and cook for 25 minutes

Serve with any pasta, although I prefer pasta that is shell shaped as they capture the sauce in the shells.


No comments: