Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Potato and Watercress Soup

It's great to see the sun, but that means that I have no excuse to not do some gardening, damn. I had to come up with an excuse  and quickly to get out of it and decided to make some soup which took me ALL afternoon. Although I did manage to sit in the garden to have a G&T whilst the soup was cooking. I couldn't do any gardening as I need to stay by the kitchen so I could keep checking on the soup and stop it from burning – that's my excuse and I am sticking by it. I see the weather is going to be good again tomorrow, so I will have to find another recipe for tomorrow, any ideas people??????

The great thing about any soup is you can use any ingredients and it will nearly always work. It's also very hard to get it wrong and this soup so simple that even I couldn't cock it up.

You don't need to peel the potatoes because it add an earthy flavour and it will increase the amount of fibre in the soup.

    • 25g butter
    • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 1 clove of garlic, chopped
    • 2 large potatoes, unpeeled and diced
    • 85-100g watercress
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1litre vegetable stock
    • 4 tbsp crème fraiche (optional)
    • (serves 4)
Heat a pan and add the butter and oil. Once the butter has melted add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the diced potatoes, watercress and bay leaf and stir into the onion mixture. Cook for a few minutes and then add the vegetable stock.

Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes.  

Once the potatoes are soft blend all the ingredients together and allow to cook for a few more minutes.

Serve in bowls and place a tablespoon of crème fraiche into each one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice idea.. thanks for posting..