Monday, 28 May 2012

Pork Ribs and Beans in a Sticky BBQ Sauce


I was doing my daily shop in our local supermarket and was scrounging around in the reduced meat section and I came across a rack of ribs, which I just managed to grab before another person. Could have been fun having a tug of war over £2.50, but not this time.

Now that I had got them I was actually at a loss at how to cook them, whether to marinade the rack whole or divide them up. I remembered seeing a recipe in my favourite recipe book Good Housekeeping Cooker Book, my food bible, and this is based on that recipe.

I marinaded the ribs for over three hours, but you don't have to do as the finished products is such as good. If you can't get any sun-dried tomato purée normal tomato purée will be fine.

  • 1 rack of ribs or 8 pieces
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 4tbsp light muscovdar sugar
  • 1tbsp French mustard
  • 4tbsp sun-dried tomato purée
  • 150g (5oz) passata
  • 4tbsp malt vinegar
  • 4tbsp tomato ketchup
  • 2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 568ml can dry cider
  • 2 x 410g cans black eyed beans, drained
  • 4tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
  • (serves 4)


Cut the rack into individual ribs and trim any excess fat off the ribs and put to one side.

Pre-heat the oven to 210c(190 fan assisted)410F/gas6/7

In a roasting tin and the chopped onion, chopped garlic, sugar, mustard, sun-dried tomato purée, passata, vinegar, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and mix all together

Place in the ribs into the mixture and stir together. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes. Take out oven and turn the ribs over and cook for another 30 minutes, until crisp and brown
.
Take the tin out of the oven and pour in the cider and stir into the sauce, scraping any sediments on the bottom of the tin. Add the drained black eyed beans and cook for another 15 minutes.

Garnish with the chopped flat leaf parsley.

Serve with rice or vegetables.

1 comment:

Petra08 said...

That looks great, I will try it!