Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Chinese Pork Belly


I am very stuck in my ways when it comes to cooking pork belly,I like to roast it or pan fry it. I know it's rather boring but I just love crispy crackling, the fat and the firm most meat with no added flavours. Even in restaurant I will order it only if it's plain. But I read some great posts on other food blogs regarding pork belly and thought it was time to do something different and decided to make Chinese pork belly. I have always been a nervous of doing Chinese style dishes, because of the lack of knowledge of the ingredients and how to cook with them. I remember going to my brothers who made an amazing Chinese meal from scratch, even marinating the duck for over 24 hours to make crispy duck pancakes and was very impressed with the prawn toasts, spare ribs and all the other dishes that I have always thought I could never do that.

I did the usual recipe search on the internet and decided the easiest was a Nigel Slater recipe that was published in 2009, you can see four other pork belly recipes on this link, which also sound tasty. The dish came out very crispy and full of flavour. Although from the picture they looked burnt, which they weren't. I'm glad they came out well and now I'm ready for something a bit harder.

I am serving it with a vegetable and noodle stir-fry, all very easy. Ideally you should marinate the pork in the sauce over night, but four hour is long enough.
  • 500 pork belly
  • 2 cloves of garlic - crushed
  • 1tbsp light soya sauce
  • 1tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1tsp Chinese five spice
  • ½tsp salt
  • (serves 4 as starter or 2 as main)


score the skin of the pork belly and place into a oven proof dish.

Put all the other ingredients into a bowl and mix together.


Pour the sauce into the dish holding the pork and rub together. Once completely rubbed together place into an fridge for a minimum of four hours, oven night is best.

Pre heat the oven to 220c/425f/gas 7. Place the pork into the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 180c/350f/gas 4 and cook for a further 30-40 minutes.

Take out of the oven and cover for 10 minutes.

Serve with rice or as I did a vegetable stir fry.



No comments: