Friday, 6 April 2012

Tartar Sauce


I was going to make some cod and tarragon goujons and wanted to make a tartar sauce from scratch, but seeing as my history regarding tartar was not very good,see previous post, I decided that I needed to check up on the recipe. But all the recipe websites and blogs I checked all said “add mayonnaise”. I didn't want two different recipes I just wanted one, but I soon realised I wasn't going to find one. So here is a recipe on how to make tartar sauce from scratch!!

I was always under the impression that making mayonnaise was difficult and had to be done with minute precision- what a load of rubbish! It was so easy I don't understand why people bother buying it! Actually, I do because it's easier lifting a jar off a shelve than whisking an egg and oil together, but not nearly as nice.

I found lots of recipes for mayonnaise but they all made too much for what I needed and as you should only keep fresh mayonnaise for 24 hours I didn't want to make too much. This recipe makes enough for 4 servings or 2 if you are greedy like us :-)

You don't have to continuously pour oil whilst whisking, you can just add a little oil and whisk each time.

Mayonnaise
  • 2 egg yolks (put the whites to one side to make meringues)
  • 1tsp white wine vinegar
  • 1tsp english mustard
  • vegetable oil

Tartar Sauce

  • 1tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1tsp horseradish sauce
  • 1tsp capers, roughly chopped
  • 3 small gherkins, finely chopped
  • 3tsp lemon juice

In a clean bowl add the egg yolks, white wine vinegar and english mustard, with a balloon whisk mix together.

Once all combined add a very small amount of oil into the mixture and rapidly whisk together, repeat this for another 6 times. Then you can start to increase the amount of oil each time- keep this up until you have a thick pale mayonnaise or it's at the consistency you require.

Then add all the above tartar sauce ingredients into the mayonnaise and stir together.

You can serve right away, but it is better if you can place it in the fridge for an hour.

If the mayonnaise splits, don't worry, just get another egg yolk and place it into another bowl, whisk it up and then add , very slowly, the spilt mayonnaise into the new egg yolk as you would the oil, this should help it bind together.

I didn't throw the egg whites away, I just whisked them to make meringues then placed in the freezer ready to use for another day.

2 comments:

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

I adore tartare sauce. Gorgeous stuff. Once had some in a pub in Yorkshire which seemed to be a whole load of chopped pickles held together by a smidgen of mayo. Strangely rather good!

Donkey said...

I've never been a mayo fan, so never really liked tartar sauce. But it's totally different home made and much better