Friday, 13 April 2012

Pickled Beetroot


I was in the supermarket, buying beetroot for a carrot and beetroot side salad I was going make. But I couldn't buy just one beetroot I had to buy a bunch. We don't eat a lot of beetroot and wondered how I could use the three I had left over. What we do do is eat a lot of salads and my other half really loves pickled beetroot, so it wasn't really that hard a decision to make.

Pickled Beetroot is very easy to make but very messy, it can also stain so be careful. Wash the beets very carefully so you don't damage the skin, otherwise you may lose the beautiful deep colour whilst boiling them.

3 beetroot, left whole
spiced pickling vinegar

Place the beetroot into a pan and cover with cold water and bring them to a boil.

When the water is boiling reduce the heat and allow to simmer for about 1 hour.

Once boiled sieve the water and allow the beetroot to cool down. Scrape off the skins, this should be very easy and you can do with your fingers.

You can either leave them whole or slice them as I have. Place them into the sterilised jar and pour in enough pickling vinegar to cover all the beetroot.

Store in a dark cupboard for about a week.

No comments: