Saturday, 21 April 2012

Cod Goujons


Our diet of late hasn't been that good and so it was time to have some fish. I love fish breaded, but it's not very healthy when fried, but cooking goujons in the oven is a lot better for you. Breaded goujon are also a bit plain so I decided to add some herbs. I was going to use sage but my other half thought it would be too strong. I was put on the spot as I didn't know which herb to use, as I needed one that would be strong enough to cut through the breadcrumbs, but not over power the cod. I was serving the goujons with home made tartar sauce and when researching recipes I came across some that contained tarragon. This was perfect, as the herb has a great flavour, it's not overpowering and I have some growing in my herb tin.

I would have normally used a fish like coley, poulting or any other firm white fish were stock levels are better, but I had already bought cod because it had been reduced in our local supermarket.

  • 2 eggs, beaten in a bowl
  • 500g cod loin
  • 100g breadcrumbs
  • 1tbsp tarragon, finely chopped
  • salt and pepper to season
  • splash of extra virgin olive oil
  • (serves 4)


Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/gas 4

Put the beaten eggs to one side and cut up the cod into strips.

Place the breadcrumbs and tarragon to a bowl, add seasoning and mix together.

Take a piece of the cod and dunk it in the beaten egg, then place into the breadcrumbs turning the cod over until completely covered and place onto a plate

Splash some oil onto a baking tray and rub it all over the tray. Place the goujons onto the tray and place in the oven, after 10 minutes turn the goujons over.

Cook for another 10 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden.

No comments: