Thursday, 26 April 2012

Beef and Rosemary Casserole


I don't like to stereotype people but this week l been the typical English person and have been constantly chatting to my friends and neighbours about the weather. I am actually very pleased that the weather is wet and horrible and I would also like to see some more of the same. I can hear you say “are you mad”, well maybe, but I have two reasons very selfish reasons 1) I don't have to spend my evenings watering the garden, which has been made worse by the hosepipe ban 2) it gives me an excuse to cook my favourite kind of food, slow cooked casseroles.

As usual I am using cheaper cuts of beef because this dish should be cooked for a minimum of two hours so the meat will be tender when finished. Rosemary is a strong herb but the beef is robust enough to cope with it so it will not overpower the dish. The portabello mushrooms add another meaty texture and the shallots become sweeter the longer they cook. So when all the ingredients slowly infuse together you get a tasty robust casserole.


This recipe is also very easy to put together, just throw it into casserole dish and let the oven take the strain.
  • 450 beef, cut into large chunks
  • 1 large carrot, cut into pieces
  • 2 portabello mushrooms
  • 6 shallots, peeled and cut in half
  • 500ml of beef stock
  • 1 twig of rosemary
  • salt and peppers to season
  • (serves 4)

Pre-heat the over at 180c/350f/gas 4

Place all the ingredients into a casserole dish and place in the oven for 2-3 hours Check every so often to ensure that it doesn't dry out. If it does just add more beef stock.

Serve with rice or my favourite mashed potatoes and vegetables.

No comments: