Sunday, 25 March 2012

Poached Chicken in White Wine with Provencal Vegetables and Herbs


I have decided to enter the challenge of random recipes, hosted by Belleau Kitchen. The challenge was to get all your cookery books together and pick the 17th book in the line. Boy did I groan when I got to number 17, it was Julia Child's French Cooking Volume 2. Oh why couldn't it have been book number 18, as it was Angela Harnett's Home Cooking, a lot easier. Don't get me wrong, I like Julia Child’s' books but the French Cooking volumes are not easy books and there are some very technical challenging recipes. I was very nervous about what recipe the book would open up to.


As I opened the book I let out a big sigh of relief, as the recipe was Bouillabaisse de Poulet and if you don't understand French, it's chicken poached in white wine with Proven├žal vegetables and herbs. It was actually a fairly easy recipe to follow, but to make it a little harder on myself I taught myself how to cut up a whole chicken see post HERE.

You can serve this either rice or potatoes. It was a really scummy dish and one that I will enjoy again and again. It was also a healthier dish that I have been having of late.
  • 3tbls extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
  • 2 leeks, peel and sliced
  • 4or 5 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 1kg whole chicken cut up into 8 (or 8 chicken thighs)
  • salt
  • 300ml/½ pint of white wine
  • 400ml/¾ pint of chicken stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • ½tsp thyme
  • ¼ fennel seeds, crushed
  • 2 pinches of saffron
  • 5cm/2” orange peel
  • Pinch of Cayenne Pepper or 4 drops of Tabasco
  • salt and pepper to season
  • serves 4
Heat up the oil in a casserole dish and add the onion and celery and cook for about 10 minutes. Stir frequently and ensure the mixture does not brown.

Once soft and tender add the chopped tomatoes and garlic, cover and cook for another 5 minutes. Stirring frequently again to ensure nothing burns.

After the 5 minutes, salt the chicken and place in the casserole dish, spreading the vegetable around and on top of the chicken. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes.


Pour over in the wine and add some of the chicken stock, until the chicken is just covered. Add the herbs and add salt and pepper to season. Be careful with the salt, as you've already add some on the chicken and in the chicken stock.
Cover and either slowly cook on the hob or in a preheat oven of 325f for about 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.

You can purchase Julia Child's French Cooking Volume 2 from the link below

4 comments:

Dom at Belleau Kitchen said...

Oh god it's gorgeous! I would be quite intimidated if I got a JuliaChilds book. Her recipes can seem like such a mammoth tast but you've done amazingly well and it looks like a wonderfully tasty dish. Thank you do much for taking part and joining in the fun. I hope it was fun and not to scary!

Donkey said...

it was fun to enter and I look forward to entering more, it's always great to have an excuse to try different recipes. I was lucky, with the JC recipes as it could have been a real nightmare, but luckily for me, it was an easy one.

Corina said...

Sounds delicious. I have never made any Julia Childs recipes but maybe I should 'educate' myself a little. I was little surprised at the name too as I had always thought bouillabaise was specific to fish.

Donkey said...

I have several Julia Child books and they are easy to follow. The French Cooker volumes have some great recipes but I find a little harder to follow. Like you, I assumed bouillabaise was specific to fish, but we live and lear :-)