Friday, 2 March 2012

Moroccan Style Turkey


I am not a fan of fruit in savoury dishes, the very thought of sultanas in a curry makes me shudder and I can't even write what I think about pineapple on a pizza as I'd have lots of complaints. If I go to a friends house or a restaurant and I find fruit in my dishes, I eat them first to get them out of the way (sad I know), at least I'm not rude by not eating it or spitting it out. But I thought I can't talk about food if I am not prepared to push my boundaries on my likes and dislikes (although still not prepared to eggs were the yolk is hard, that is one boundary I will never cross).

We had some turkey left over from last nights dinner and I was struggling to decide what to make with it. After scanning the internet I found a recipe that would challenge my dislike of sweet things in savoury dishes.

As I was preparing the dish, I was checking the seasoning and I liking what I was tasting, But, as we are still trying to keep to healthy diet, I carried on cooking but was not looking forward to this dish. The last 15 minutes I had to add dry apricots, which made me squirm at the thought of fruit in the dish. I then put the turkey into a bowl and served it with cous cous I was pleasantly surprised, the dish was light with bold flavours from the cinnamon and apricots. Although I enjoyed eating the dish, I am still not going to be a big fan of fruit in my dinner, but I guess the more I try it the more I will get use to it.



  • 400g turkey
  • 2tbsp flour seasoned
  • 2tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 large onion cut into wedges
  • 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 1tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1tsp ground coriander
  • 400g chickpeas
  • 400g tinned tomatoes
  • 400ml chicken or turkey stock
  • 75g dried apricots
  • 2tbsp almonds flakes
  • 1tbsp fresh coriander chopped
  • serves 4



Put the turkey in a bowl and mix in the seasoned flour and put to the side.

Put the oil into a pan and add the onion, garlic, cinnamon and coriander and cook for 5 minutes. Place in the turkey and cook for another 5 minutes stirring occasionally.

Add the chickpeas, tinned tomatoes and chicken stock, plus the flour that was left over and cook for 1-1½ hours, or until turkey is tender. For the last 15 minutes add the dried apricots

Just before serving stir in the almonds flakes and fresh chopped coriander.

I served this with cinnamon and almond cous cous, see recipe HERE


No comments: