Sunday, 4 March 2012

Lemon Drizzle Cake (Loaf)


My other half has been asking me to make a Lemon Drizzle Cake for a few weeks now, so I scanned a couple of recipes and thought I can't be bothered, to much hassle. But, I am going on holiday on Monday (5th March), to lay on a beach for a week in the sun and he is not coming. So, I feel a little guilty (only a little) and so decided I would attempt my first ever Lemon Drizzle cake.

I went on the internet to get a feel on how to make the cake and found a few versions and I decided to make a version that contain lemon curd see HERE for recipe. Also as my better half loves lemon curd there is loads leftover so he can have some tasty lemon curd on toast whilst I am away. I am also baking this in a loaf tin, so strictly speaking it's a loaf not a cake, but let's not quibble.

As I'd never had or made this cake before I wasn't really sure what to expect. Also I said I wasn't a fan of lemon curd but my other-half does, see previous post, and was even more unsure. As with other recipes I have cooked, I was pleasantly surprised. It is a fairly robust cake, but is moist, almost gooey in parts, because you pour a lemon syrup through the cake. It is also not that much hassle to make and will become a bit of a popular cake in our house.

I have split the recipe in two, because the syrup can be prepared whilst the cake is baking.

Lemon Drizzle Loaf Cake

  • 1 large lemons, unwaxed is best
  • 225g (4oz) self raising flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 125g (4oz) butter cut into cubes
  • 2 large eggs beaten
  • 112g (3.5oz) of caster sugar
  • 1tbsp lemon curd


Line a 900g (2lb) loaf tin with a loaf tin liner or non stick baking paper. Preheat the oven at 180C (gas mark 4)

Grate the zest of the lemon into a bowl and squeeze the juice into the same bowl and place to one side.

Sieve the flour and salt into a large bowl. Place the butter into the flour and rub together until you have a breadcrumb like mixture. Add the beaten eggs, the grated lemon, the lemon juice and the lemon curd and mix together.

Put the cake mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, until it has risen and golden. Use a skewer to test to see if the cake has cooked. Push in the skewer and pull out if the skewer is clean it is cooked. If there is some mixture on the skewer, cook for a few more minutes and try again.

Once cooked, take out of the oven and let it cool, into the tin for 10 minutes. Then remove from the loaf tin, but keep in the loaf tin liner or non stick baking paper.


Lemon Drizzle
  • 1 large lemon, unwaxed preferred
  • 450ml of hot water
  • 125g (3.5oz) caster sugar
  • 1tbsp lemon curd


Using a vegetable peeler, carefully peel the lemon and place the peel into 450ml of hot water and leave to stand for about 30 minutes,

Juice the lemon and put to one side.

Place the water and zest into a pan and bring up to a boil and let it boil for about 10 minutes.

Add the caster sugar, lemon curd and 1tbsp of the lemon juice into the pan and boil for about 10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by about a third.

Once complete take off the heat and allow it to cool down for a few minutes.

Pierce the cake in several place and very slowly pour the syrup over the cake. I found it best to pour a little at a time and leave a gap between each pour, to allow more of the syrup to soak in.

Use the peel of the lemon to decorate the cake and place into airtight container and keep for a week.


1 comment:

All That I'm Eating said...

I love lemon drizzle cake...especially the drizzle! Have a lovely holiday.