Saturday, 3 March 2012

Lemon Curd

The last time I tried lemon curd I wasn't a fan, but like most kids, I was into things that were sweets rather than foods that were sharp, give me a curlyl wurly than lemon drops any day. My “better” half has mentioned several times that he loves lemon curd, but as I remembered I wasn't a fan I wasn't going to make some, but he was more than welcome to do so, but guess what, he didn't and I did.

One reason I made it was because I was going to make a lemon drizzle cake. As the recipe required some lemon curd I thought I would prefer to try and make some. I've found that most things made at home from scratch are much better than massed produced products from supermarkets and it was a wise decision.

It's incredibly easy to make and far superior to other lemon curd I had tried as a kid, or maybe its because I have just grown up (allegedlly) and my taste buds have changed. But I loved the sweet sharpness of the curd and am now a convert, but seeing how much, sugar and butter that goes into making it, it's not going to become a regular preserve.

  • grated zest and juice of 4 medium lemons
  • 4 medium eggs, beaten
  • 125g (4oz) butter, cut into pieces
  • 350g (12oz) golden caster sugar

Put all the ingredients into a double boiler, or a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir the mixture until all the sugar will dissolved. Continue to heat gently, stirring frequently for about 20 minutes, until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL OR IT WILL SPILT.

Strain the lemon curd through a fine sieve. Pour into some sterilised jars. Store into the fridge and use within two weeks.

To sterilise jars, preheat oven to 140c. Wash the jars and lids in hot soapy water. Rinse the jars and lids and place, bottom up, on a baking tray and place into the oven for 10-15 minutes. Take out of the oven and allow to cool.

1 comment:

Maya said...

Brilliant recipe! I was definitely a kid that had a sour tooth rather than sweet. I loved those lollipops you stick in sour powder, and sucking the juice out of lemon wedges as if they were oranges. :)

Naturally I'm a big fan of lemon curd but have never made it before. Your recipe looks easy so I will be giving it a go.