Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Chicken with Mushroom, Celery and White Wine


Since I started this blog I have realised that I have written a lot about slow food, (by this I mean food and recipes that you cook for more than 60 minutes) rather than making things like chicken wrapped in bacon, tuna with a wasabi sauce etc and it seem I am not going to slow down, as again I've cooked yet another slow dish. I have always enjoyed food that has plenty of time to cook so that the flavours have plenty of time to blend into each other to produce tasty tender food. Also I am bit tight when spending money, so I tend to buy cheaper cuts of meats which can still produce superb tasting meals, so no wagu beef, just good old stewing steak – well for now anyway.

As I’ve said before I prefer to use chicken thighs and it's the same with this recipe. Thighs have more flavour and moisture, whereas chicken breast will dry out. Thighs are also cheaper, which goes with me being tight when spending money :-). These days you can get chicken thighs already skinned and boned, but you pay a little more for it. Now I do purchase these as I’m to lazy to skin and bone chicken thigh, you've got to have a little luxury from time to time :-).

This dish has a slight sharp taste, due to the wine and low fat crème fraiche. Don't let this put you off because this is a really tasty dish, best served with rice, but you could serve with mashed potatoes and veg.

  • 500g skinned and boned chicken thighs cut into pieces
  • 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 2 sticks of celery, finely sliced
  • 2 portabello mushroom, cut into pieces
  • 300ml dry white wine
  • 300ml chicken stock


Heat the oil in the pan and add the onions, cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the crushed garlic and cook until the onions are soft and translucent.

Add the celery and mushrooms and gently stir in until the mixture has coated all the celery and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Place the chicken into the pan and again gently stir for about 5 minutes.

Turn up the heat and add the wine and bring to a rapid boil. Keeping boiling until the wine has reduced by half. Then add the chicken stock and again bring back to the boil.

Once boiling reduce the heat until the liquid is just simmering and cook for a minimum of 60 minutes. Stir occasionally and check to ensure that the liquid does not evaporate and add more stock if required.

Serve this with mash potatoes or rice.



2 comments:

All That I'm Eating said...

I love slow cooking food too so this is my kind of thing. I much prefer chicken thighs to any other part of the chicken so will need to remember to slow cook them at some point!

Donkey said...

chicken thighs slow cook really well as they keep there moisture. Was trying to do a "quick" dish today, but didn't work another dish that took two hours.