Friday, 24 February 2012

Grilled Sardine Salad


Seeing as I've been stuffing my face with chocolate crackles, I thought I should make up for it and have something light for lunch but wasn't sure what to have. I was walking around my local supermarket and at the fresh fish counter and they had some great looking fresh sardines so decided to make a grilled sardine salad.

I really love the three leaf salad you can get in the supermarkets of watercress, spinach and rocket, because it's wonderfully peppery, but I thought it might be a bit boring with just sardines. I wondered what I could do to give the leafs a kick, so I came up with idea of mixing it with some toasted mixed seeds and a critic dressing. Also as the sardines are hot, they will release moisture into the salad and add more flavour to the leafs and dressing.

This serves four for lunch or four as a starter.
  • 12 sardines
  • 25g mixed seeds
  • bag of watercress, rocket and spinach leaves
  • 1 ripe advocado, peeled, stoned and cut into cubes
  • 1 juice of lime
  • 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper.
  • (serves four)

Grill the sardines until cooked, about 5 minutes per side.

Put the seeds into a dry pan and heat up until lightly toasted and slightly brown.

Put the salad leaves into a bowl, add in the toasted seeds, the advocado pieces and mix together.

Put the lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper into a bowl and mix together. Once all blended together add the dressing into the salad stir together until it covers all the leafs.

Take the grilled sardines and also place into the bowel and mix together. The sardines will break up, which is fine.

Serve with some warm fresh crusty bread and enjoy.

No comments: