Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Chocolate Crackels

It's not easy eating a healthy diet, although I love healthier food as it's light, fresh and very tasty it never seems to satiate my urge for something sweet and sticky afterwards. With the exception of the carrot cake, see here, I haven't eaten anything too unhealthy, but I thought what the hell I need to be able to eat something bad otherwise I'm going to become very boring.

With the idea of making something sweet I realised I hadn't done anything from the Great British Bake Off ( RRP £25) for a long time and so searched the book to see what was going to help me cut my cravings. One recipe that keep coming to my attention, whilst flicking through the book, was chocolate crackles and as I love dark chocolate that is what I decided to make. You can purchase the book from the link at the bottom of this post.

This recipe makes 30 biscuits but I didn't want as many as that so when I let the biscuit dough rest, I took half the mixture to make the biscuits and I placed the other half into cling film, rolled into a large sausage shape and then placed into the freezer. When I want to use it I will let the recipe defrost slightly so that I can cut the dough into circles and cook for 15-17 minutes.

  • 100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids) roughly chopped
  • 100g unsalted butter, softened
  • 150g light brown muscovado sugar
  • 1 large free range egg (at room temperature)
  • ½tsp vanilla extract
  • 175g self raising flour
  • ½tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 2-3tbsp icing sugar
  • 1-2 baking sheets, greased or silicone baking sheets
  • (makes approx 30)


Put a bowl over a pan of hot water, ensuring that the water is not boiling and the water is not touching the bowl. Place the chocolate in the bowl and let is slowly melt

Once the chocolate has melted remove from the pan and add the softened butter and stir it all together. Once completed stir in the butter, once done leave to cool for 5 minutes.

Beat the egg and the vanilla extract just until combined, then add it to the cool chocolate mixture.

Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda and mix thoroughly. Cover the bowl with cling film and chill for about 1 hour or until firm

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Divide the chocolate dough into approximately 30 even-sized pieces and roll into next balls. Spoon the icing sugar into a shallow dish. Roll the balls, one at a time, into the sugar to coat thickly.

Set the balls on the prepared baking sheeting, spacing well apart. (bake the biscuits in batches, if necessary).

Bake for 10 minutes for a softer biscuit or 12 minutes for a crisp biscuits. Remove from the oven and let it cool down for a couple of minutes. Then remove from the baking sheets and place on a wire rack to cool. Store in a air tight container and eat within 5 days, like there'll last that long.





No comments: