Thursday, 16 February 2012

Beetroot Soup


I have only very bought raw beetroot to make fresh juice and I have never actually cooked them, but recently a friend recently made a salad with beetroot, to go with some wonderful BBQ sea bream. He roasted the beetroot and then dry fried some hazelnuts which he then mixed with salad leaves and made a light dressing and I was surprised at how tasty the beetroot was. So I thought I would buy some and see what I could do with them and the other day I was in my local supermarket and they had some beetroot reduced and so decided to purchase them.

Three days later the beetroot was still sitting in the fridge and has I had been busy I wasn't really sure what I could do with them. I wasn't go to make the salad, as for me it's far to cold for salad, so I decided I would make some brochst! Like a lot of recipes there were a lot of different varieties and so it was difficult to decide which was the original version or even close to an original version. I did find a good article in The Guardian about borscht, see HERE, but after much searching and consideration I decided to make a plain beetroot soup, which has been influenced by the recipes I had research, but I am not going to call it borscht.

I have used beef stock in this dish to add more depth of flavour to it, but you can easily use vegetable stock so that it is vegetarian and vegan.


  • 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
  • 1 leek, roughly chopped
  • 4 beetroots, peeled, roughly chop 3 of them and leave the 4th one whole
  • 500ml beef stock
  • 1tbsp red wine vinegar
  • salt and pepper for seasoning.
  • low fat creme fraiche
  • serves 4

Heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, throw in the chopped garlic and cook until the onions and garlic are soft.

Stir in the carrots and leeks to ensure they are covered by the oil and onion mixture and cook for 5 minute. Put the chopped beetroot into the pan and then add the stock, bring the soup to a rapid boil, then turn down and cook for 30 minutes or until the beetroot as soft.

Blend the soup together until smooth. Take the 4th beetroot and grate it and add to the soup along with the red wine vinegar and cook for 10-15 minutes. Season to taste and pour some creme fraiche when serving.

I like the soup thick, but you may want to add more water to thin it out.

No comments: