Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Chicken and Bacon Pasta


As I've written in my recent blogs, it's time to start eating a little healthier, which I guess most people will do at this time of the year. The hardest part will be sticking to it. I also reckon that I will last as long as most people, before I start pigging out again. But I must really try and get rid of the extra baggage that I put around my stomach in the last three weeks. Even my favourite pair of jeans are beginning to get a little snug!

This is a basic low fat pasta dish, loosely based on the arrabbiatta sauce, which consists of onion, garlic, chilli, tomatoes and parsley. I've just added chicken and bacon.

I am using chicken legs, which If I had known what a pain they are to skin and remove the meat off the bone, plus removing all the sinew, I would have bought skinned and boned chicken thighs. I personally don't use chicken breasts as I think they are too dry, but you can if you want.

  • 2 slices of smoked lean bacon (with rind removed)
  • splash of extra virgin olive oil (if needed)
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 chilli, finely chopped (seeds removed if you're a chilli lightweight!)
  • 400g tin tomatoes
  • 200g chicken meat, chopped
  • 1tbsp chopped parsley
  • salt and pepper to season
  • (serve 4 Starter - 2 main course)


Add the bacon to a pan and brown. If there is enough fat in the pan add the onion and cook for a few minutes then add the garlic and chilli and cook again for a few minutes more. If there is not enough fat in the pan add the extra virgin olive oil.

Then add the tomatoes, chicken and the parsley and cook until the chicken is cooked (about 15-20 minutes). Add the seasoning according to your personal choice.

Serve with spaghetti or linguine.

No comments: