Tuesday, 20 December 2011

Mincepies Part 2 - How NOT to make Mincepies


I did a fair amount of research on the internet on what kind of pastry to use for my mince pies, and decided to first try with shortcrust pastry - the recipe for which is readily available on the internet.

I made the pastry and started assembling the pies. The recipe I used said that it makes 12 pies and 12 lids. Well I was struggling to see how that was possible, so I decided to attempt to make 6 pies and 6 lids to see how much pastry I had left over. I put the 6 bottoms in the tray, placed in the mincemeat mixture (which I'd made previously in part 1 see HERE), started to put the lids on the pies when disater struck. I knocked the jar of mincemeat and it went flying all over the floor. So, even if I could make more pies, with the left over pastry, I had no mincemeat left.

With the air exceedingly BLUE, I eventually got my composure back and placed the 6 pies into the oven to see how they would come out and what they would taste like. As you can see they didn't come out well at all. The pastry was too thick, the lids didn't stick down, but they did taste very nice. So I guess part 3 is on the cards, although I am running out of time. I need to make more mincemeat and that takes 24 hours and I am out all day Friday and travelling to my outlaws on Saturday, so I need to try again either on Wednesday or Thursday. Fingers crossed that I get it right this time, but it's going to be a struggle as I'm also going to attempt to make a ham hock terrine with cornichons and pasley, as well as finish off my Christmas shopping!

The pastry recipe is fine and tasty, but you must ensure you roll the pastry out thinly and make the top and bottom of the pie stick together
  • 200g plain flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 100g butter
  • 2-3 tbsp cold water


Sieve the flour into a bowl and add the salt. Cut the buttter into small pieces and add to the bowl.

Using your fingertips rub in the butter into the pastry until you have the texture resembling bread crumbs.

Add 2 tbsp of water and stir together with a knife and then with your hands bring it all together in a ball. If the mixture is too dry and you are having problems making it into a ball add another tablespoon of water.

When completed wrap in clingfilm and put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes.

Take out of the fridge and bring it to room temperature, which will take about an hour. This will stop the pastry from cracking when you are rolling it out.

Roll the pastry out and cut 12 circles and place into your pan. Then add the mincemeat, ensuring you don't over fill to prevent it spilling out when in the oven.

Cut out another 12 circles to put on top. Rub a little water on both parts of pastry and then pinch together, to stop them from splitting.

Preheat the over to 220C and cook for 15-25 minutes, depending on your oven.

No comments: