Monday, 19 December 2011

Curried Goat


To think that I got into my all time favourite curry was by going to a local Bingo hall. To do something different some friends and I went to our local bingo hall in Cricklewood, London. They have two separate restaurants- English and Caribbean. Now I love fish and chips, omelettes and chips etc, but I was more interested in the Caribbean section. Standing in queue, I could see on the menu Jerk chicken, ackee and saltfish, dumplings, callaloo and oxtail stew but decided to try curried goat with rice and peas. All I could say was OMG and have been hooked on it ever since. In fact the only reason I ever went back to play bingo was for the curry – plus it had a late night bar with cheap beer!

Now the biggest problem was where to get goat from! I've actually found this quite difficult, so I went to Brixton, London because it has a large afro Caribbean community, but I could not find goat meat- lots of mutton but no goat. I went to a famous foodie market called Borough Market and asked a few meat stalls and the best answer was I would have to order it and it would take about two weeks. What was I going to do? Easy, I just replaced the goat for mutton and have made this dish a lot using mutton and it is delicious. But a couple of weeks ago I went to my local high street and went into a local corner shop. There in the fresh meat section was goat meat. So, today I made my favourite curry with goat and here is the recipe, which serves four.

The dish is very easy to make but this recipe can take up to 8 hours to prepare and cook, but trust me it is worth it.

WARNING – if you are going to use to Scotch bonnets be careful as they are VERY hot, so you might want to remove seeds. Also wash your hands thoroughly afterwards and do not rub your eyes. You may even want to wear gloves whilst you prepare them.

  • 1kg goat meat (if not mutton or lamb will do)
  • 1 lime
  • 2tbsp all purpose seasoning
  • 2tbsp Jamaican curry powder (normal curry powder is fine)
  • 6tbsp oil (sunflower or vegetable is best)
  • 450ml vegetable stock
  • 1 onion roughly chopped
  • 1 scotch bonnet (take seeds out if you don't want it too hot)
  • 2 gloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 10 all spice berries
  • 2cm fresh ginger
  • 1 red pepper, diced (optional)
  • 1 green pepper, diced (optional)
  • 2 spring onions (green part only)
  • 2tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • 2tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
  • 1 large waxy potato, diced (optional)


Put the meat into a bowl and squeeze the juice of the lime on top. Add the all purpose seasoning and the curry powder and mix all together. Cover the bowl and put in the fridge for about 4 hours. You can leave it for an hour, but the flavours do not marinate as well and is not so intense.

Put the oil into a casserole dish or thick bottom pan and bring up to a very high heat. Then add the goat meat stirring to cover all the meat with the oil. Once completely covered lower the heat and cook the meat in the oil for about 45 minutes, occasionally stirring to ensure that the meat is not burning.

Add 150ml of stock to the pan and cook for about 45 minutes, again stirring occasionally. Add another 150ml of the stock to the pan and again cook for about 45 minutes.

Then add all other ingredients apart from the potato and cook for two hours. Then add the potato and until cooked. Then serve with rice and peas.

All I do for rice and peas is to bring the (easy cook) rice to the boil add a tin of red kidney beans (including the water) and cook until tender.

No comments: