Tuesday, 15 November 2011

The Great British Bake Off "How To Bake" Review

If you have followed my blog you will know that I am a novice at baking and with the help of the Great British Bake Off “How To Bake book I have been learning and improving my baking skills. I know this book has been out for a while, but as I've done a few recipes I thought I would write a review.

This is a really helpful book for both novices and experienced bakers. It lists easy and more challenging recipes. The easy recipes are shown as perfect for children and seeing as I have little experience of baking I attempted to see how easy they really were. I first tried the oat and raisin recipe (Click HERE). I found it easy to follow and helpful which gave me confidence in trying the more complex recipes. The book also lists recipes that are great for celebrations.

Oat and Raisin Biscuits
There are eight chapters and at the beginning of each one there is an in depth technical challenge. It has a step by step guide on how to create the final recipe and has images along side each step. The chapters are broken down into cakes, biscuits and teatime treats, bread, pies and savoury pastry, tarts and sweet pastry, patisserie, pudding and desserts and finally celebration cakes.

If you managed to watch the programme that this book was following, there are recipes created by the contestants who won ‘star baker’ in each episode. There are wonderful recipes including salmon and bok choi quiche, stilton, potato and caramelised onion pie, blueberry Bakewell tarts, plus many more.

Smoke Haddock and Watercress Quiche
I actually made one of the ‘best of the bake-off;’ smoked haddock and watercress quiche, which is very easy to follow and I thought came out rather well, (click link HERE to see my posting). The picture featured in the heading of this website is the one I made. At the bottom of this page you will see links to the other recipes that I have prepared and you can see the outcome. Plus you will see I had a disaster and made some mistakes too!

Each recipe is well laid out in the book and easy to follow, along with some great photos. The recipes have been written by Linda Collister and there are forwards and technical tips from the two judges Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood. At the end of the book there is an oven temperature conversion page, which when writing recipes for my website has come in very handy.

You can purchase this book from any good bookshop and has a recommended retail price of £25. You can purchase this at a cheaper price by clicking on the link below


I have also just made Chocolate and Orange cakes, but have yet to write up the review.

Great British Bake Off: How to Bake: The Perfect Victoria Sponge and Other Baking Secrets (Great British Bake Off TV Tie)


Apple Pie - See Post Here

Tarte Au Citron - See Post Here

1 comment:

All That I'm Eating said...

They all look great - especially the Tarte au Citron! I'm glad the book has given you confidence in your baking skills. Think how many things you've yet to experiment with! I like your posts and am following.