Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Broccoli and Stilton Soup

I never understand why people buy soup, because making it is so quick and easy, it also tastes so much better. Try this very popular winter warming soup and serve with some good crusty bread and once you realise how easy it is you'll start making your own.





  • Large knob of butter
  • Oil
  • 1 Onion
  • 250g broccoli, chopped
  • 100g stilton
  • 500ml water
  • salt and pepper to season
  • 1tsp vegetable stock (optional)

Put the butter with a small drop of oil and melt add the onion and cook for a few minutes. Add the broccoli and stir for 2-3 minutes, so the broccoli gets covered by the butter and oil. Then add the stock and heat until the broccoli is cooked, about 15 minutes. Blend all the ingredients together with a blender, either hand or food processor. With the soup still on the heat add the stilton in stages and stir in until it's melted. Keep adding until it's at the flavour you require. I like it a strong cheese flavour so added all of the 100g. Add salt and pepper to season, I personally don't add any salt, due to the amount in the cheese and the stock.

You can add vegetable stock if you require. I didn't add any as I found there was enough flavours from the broccoli and stilton

If you haven't got a hand blender then you can purchase from this link 

Philips HR1363 Hand Blender with Beaker and Chopper Accessory

2 comments:

Choclette said...

Soup is one of the best and I've not had a bought soup yet that tastes half as good. Yours sounds delicious - weirdly I've never made broccoli and stilton.

Donkey said...

This is one of my favourites, as it's so quick. Although I experimenting, I recently did a spicy roasted red pepper with chickpea, which was really tasty.