Sunday, 13 November 2011

Basic Tomato Sauce - Tuna Pasta


One of my favourite holidays was inter-railing around Italy with an friend called Arianna and whilst we were in Pisa, we had lunch with some of her friends. They showed me a great basic tomato sauce that I still use today and you can add any ingredients to. It's very easy to make and can be made in minutes, so I always have the ingredients in my cupboard. Which proved to be handy as my other half called to say that he is going to be late home and I didn't have time to go to our local supermarket so I made up the sauce.

  • 2tbps extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
  • 400g tinned tomatoes (fresh are better, but must be skinned beforehand)
  • 1tbsp tomato puree
  • handful of fresh basil leaves, ripped
  • salt and pepper to season

Put the extra virgin olive oil into a pan and heat, add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are soft. Add the tomatoes, ripped basil and season to taste and cook as long as possible over a gentle heat, as the longer you cook it the more intense the flavour becomes.
Tomato Sauce
You can just serve this with some pasta for a great tasty and healthy meal. But I wanted to add some extra ingredients to embelish it. So I added:
  • 1 dried chilli, finely chopped (with seeds)
  • 3 lumps of frozen spinach
  • 3 large mushrooms
  • 1 tin of tuna in springwater.

With the tomato sauce simmering, add the chilli and frozen spinach, and cook until the spinach is broken down. Then added the mushrooms and tuna, including the springwater and cook for about 15 minutes. Stir altogether, but be careful not to stir too hard because you could break down the tuna into to smaller pieces and it's nice to have big clumps.

Once the pasta is cooked I pour the sauce into the saucepan containing the pasta and mix together and then serve.

Tuna Pasta
I serve this with conchiglie pasta, because it's holds the sauce in the shells to make a wonderful mouthful.  

No comments: