Wednesday, 19 October 2011

Vegetable Noddles

I am a big fan of asian pot noodles and I often make trips to my local asian supermarket. The only thing that stops me buying more of them is because I don't have enough room in my bag and they are also full of flavourings, MSG etc, so I often make my own. For this reason I've always got the following in storage, dried noodles, nam pla (fish sauce), miso paste (fermented soya) and dried seaweed. The great thing about these products are they last for a very long time, if you have problems getting hold of these products you can click on the links below to purchase them.

The great thing about this recipe is you can use any vegetables, fish or meat that you have in the house and I've never had the same dish with each bowl, but I do normally have a standard list of ingredients. The dish serves one, but it is easy to expand on it

  • 10g of pine nuts
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 chilli, chopped with seeds (if you don't like it too spicy remove the seeds)
  • 1tsp olive oil
  • 20g each of pea, sweet corn (frozen is best)
  • nam pla (fish sauce)
  • 1 heaped tsp of miso paste
  • 300ml of cold water
  • approx 2-3g of dried seaweed
  • 1 pack of noddles
Put the pine nuts into a pan and toast them, once browned remove from pan. Add the shallot, chilli and garlic and gently fry for about a minute, making sure you don't burn the garlic.

Add the sweet corn, peas and stir, after two minutes and then add 5-8 splash of nam pla, (be careful as to much can over power the dish), then add the miso paste and stir it all together for another minute.

Then add the cold water and the dried seaweed (it's very hard to say how much, because it swells in the liquid). Bring to the boil and then add the noddles and cook until soft and then serve.

The recipe above is a very standard list and I said earlier I add other vegetables etc. In fact today's version didn't have any of the listed vegetables, I used mushroom, red pepper, cabbage as were in my fridge and they needed to be used - that is how simple and versatile the dish is.

Squid Brand Fish Sauce 720Ml
Wel-Pac Wakame Dried Seaweed 57g
Hikari Light Miso Paste, Shiro to make Miso Soup (400g)





1 comment:

Lyd said...

Never thought of making my own. always thought half the reason to have them is they're quick. However, seeing your recipe makes me realize easy and far healthier with no preservatives, Es etc. Will try it out soon, thanks for the idea.