Thursday, 20 October 2011

Tomatoes, Mozzeralla and Basil Pasta



I've haven't made this dish in a very long time, but as it's such a lovely autumn day I wanted to eat something light and fresh. Whilst I was doing a 12km run it came to me in a flash of inspiration. It's an odd dish where you only really cook the pasta, the "sauce" if you can call it that, is added when the pasta is cooked and you just stir it in over the heat.

This serves 2 people as a lunch main course or a evening starter

  • 200g ripe tomatoes, chopped small and roughly
  • 1 packet of half fat mozzeralla, ripped into small pieces
  • large handfull of basil leaves, ripped
  • 2 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • Dried pasta for two (I am not adding dried weight as the amount is your choice)
  • (serves 4 as starter or 2 as main)
Put the chopped tomatoes, ripped mozzeralla, basil into a bowl, add the olive oil with salt and pepper and mix together (although I don't like to much salt, you need to be generous as it helps to release the jucies out of the tomatoes) and mix together and leave for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Put the pasta into a pan and cook until al dente. Once the pasta has cooked, drain it, rinse with boiling water to remove any starch. Put the pasta back into the pan and put the mixture back into the pan, over heat, and stir for about two minutes or until the mozzeralla starts to melt. Then serve in bowls and season to your required taste.

It's always good to have a slice of nice bread to mop up the juices once you have finished.


EDIT – I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this dish and wanted it again today (21st October), but I had run out of basil, so I tried it with fresh chives and it was just as flavoursome. I think that other herbs would go just as well and I wonder if other cheese might be just as good. I have a feeling I will be updating this recipe again.



No comments: