Thursday, 15 September 2011

Sausages with Green Lentils and Thyme

I was never a fan of lentils when growing up, but as my taste buds have changed, lentils now play a larger part in my diet and this dish has become one of our standard dishes. We did get it from a recipe book, but we've been having it for so long now I don't remember which book it is from.

250g green (Puy) lentils (washed)
125-150g of smoked bacon lardons (or 4-6 slices of streaky bacon cut up)
3 large shallots (or medium onion) finely chopped
1 large clove of garlic finely chopped
1 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1tbs fresh thyme (or used dried)
1ltr of chicken stock
2tbs olive oil
8 sausages (what ever you prefer)
serves 4

Put the bacon lardons in the pan and cook until lightly browned. Add the olive oil and add the chopped onion and garlic with the bacon and cook until the onion is soft. Then add the carrots and lentils in the pan and stir well to combine then add the thyme. Add enouggh of the stock, until it just covers the lentils. Cook them for 45 - 60 minutes topping up the stock level as it reduces. The cooking time varies as it depends on how you like your lentils. I like them with a bit of a bite, whereas my partner prefers them to be softer.

Refer to the cooking instructions on your sausages and cook them whilst finishing off the lentils. I have used many different vareties over the years and all go very well with the lentils. Last night I used venison sausages (and they took 10-12 minutes to cook so started cooking them 40 minutes after starting to cooking the lentils).

Once all completed put in a bowl and place 2 sausages on top.

I'm a bit of a chilli nut, so I normally add some chilli sauce to my lentils once served up. My favourites are Habanero Tabasco or Encona Hot  

2 comments:

hopeeternalcookbook said...

I ate (and really enjoyed) something that looked very similar to this in France at Le Puy (home of the grey lentils) this year. I bought a pack of lentils and intend to have a go at making some myself soon. You have reminded me - thanks!
hopeeternal
'Meanderings through my Cookbook'

Donkey said...

I can highly recommend this dish as it is really tasty and hope you do make it and enjoy it as much as me. We love it so much it has become a standard dish and have it at least twice a month