Monday, 1 August 2011

Spanish Pork and Chorizo

Okay, I've picked another dish that needs at least 90 minutes to cook and I promise that the next recipe I write up will not need so long to do! I had never prepared this dish before so wasn't really sure how it would come out, but I had to try it as it had one of my favourite ingredients- chorizo! I normally buy the picante version (which is a spicy), but I could only purchase a normal chorizo. If you have never tried it you are missing a wonderful smoky sausage, which is made from pork, pork fat, paprika, garlic and herbs. These are basic ingredients but as there are regional variations in Spain and different ones from other countries which have slightly different ingredients. For more information click on the link below.


flour with season (salt & pepper)
oil (vegetable will do)
400g diced pork
1 chorizo
1 red pepper (sliced)
1 green pepper (sliced)
1 red onion (sliced)
1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon saffron threads
400g tin tomatoes
200ml chicken stock (I use liquid stock)
serve with polenta or as I did, brown rice
serves 2 if greedy – 3-4 if not!

Add the oil to a heated pan and fry off the chorizo, then move to a plate. Mix the pork in the flour, brush off any excess flour and then fry off in the oil. Once browned place on the plate with the chorizo. Add the red onion, red and green pepper to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, then add the garlic, paprika and saffron and cook for another 2 minutes. Return the pork and chorizo to the pan. Add the tomatoes and chicken stock, cook for 30 minutes with a lid on and then for another 60 minutes with the lid off. Stir occasionally and if the sauce becomes too thick add some more water.


No comments: