Saturday, 6 August 2011

Leek and Bacon Risotto

I am not a fan of making risotto, because I am too lazy, for me it's too much effort Standing for 30 minutes, stirring, stirring and more stirring, but if someone else makes it for me, then bring it on! When I go to restaurants there has to be something that makes me go yes, that is what I want, but, I am not aware that risotto has ever done that. This doesn't mean I haven't eaten risotto in a restaurant, as I have a few times, but that is only because the others things on the menu haven't tweaked my interest. When I saw this recipe in a Tesco Real Food Magazine (which you can get instore for free) it didn't do much for me, but, I wasn't cooking it and I wasn't in the mood to argue.

8 slices of thick cut unsmoked bacon
1 tbsp olive oil
3 leeks, sliced
2 garlic cloves crushed
350g arborio rice
1½ ltr hot chicken stock
150ml white wine
4 sprigs fresh thyme, leave picked off sprigs
1 tbsp crème fraiche
2 tbsp parmesan chesses, plus extra for serving
Salt and pepper to season
serves 4 or 2 when saving for lunch the next day

Heat a grill and cook the bacon for a few minutes until cooked through and beginning to crisp, remove, chop into pieces and keep warm.

Meanwhile heat the oil in a large pan with a lid and cook the sliced leeks over a high heat, stirring, for about 8 minutes or until soft, in the last 2 minutes add the crushed garlic. Then stir in the rice so it's well coated and cook for a minute more.

Turn the heat down to medium, pour in the wine and keep stirring until the liquid is absorbed. Gradually add the piping-hot stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring until completely absorbed before adding more. Repeat until the risotto is thick and creamy, but the grains still have some bite (about 25 minutes)

Season with salt and pepper, stir in the cooked bacon, thyme leaves, crème fraiche and Parmesan. Turn off the heat and put on the lid and allow to rest for 5-6 minutes. Add the extra Parmesan when serving.

Actually after eating it, my attitude to risotto hasn't change, I won't be making them in a hurry, as this didn't wow me, and if we did make this again (which I doubt very much) I would use good smoked bacon and add more thyme. I wouldn't bother with the crème fraiche as it didn't come through at all.

I have to say though it was very well cooked, the rice had a nice bite to it, and it was very creamy......hopefully that will get me out of trouble with my partner.......

No comments: