Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Kohlrabi

A friend of mine emailed me today asking if I could scan the internet and find any recipes for Kohlrabi. Although I had heard about them and knew what they looked like and realised I had no idea what they tasted like or how to cook them. In fact I knew virtually nothing about them!

After a bit of research I found out that kohlrabi is part of the brassica genus which covers a large numbers of different vegetables- see the link below for more information:


It appears it has the texture and crunch of a radish and a slight taste of a mild turnip, cauliflower and broccoli stem all rolled into one. It is can be used as a side dish, an ingredient as part of a dish or as the main ingredient, like stuffed kohlrabi, all of which can be found in the links below.

The easiest way to cook them is to peel and cut them into cubes and boil them until they are tender, drain them and squeeze over some lemon juice, or cut them into batons and sauté them until soft. You can also use the leaves and cook them like spinach

Here are some links for recipes. I have not tried them as I just emailed them to my friend, so please leave a comment if try any of them. As soon as I've tried them I will update this entry.


No comments: