Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Great British Bake Off – Oat and Raisin Biscuits

Although I love cooking, one area I have no real skill or confidence in is baking. The thought of making cakes and pies terrifies me, as there is nothing more embarassing if you make a soggy cake or muffins etc.

But, the other day I was sent a copy of the BBC book The Great British Bake Off, How To Bake. Which is related to the new series that is starting on BBC 2 tonight 16 August 2011 – see website for more information - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013pqnm

I opened the book with trepidation and scanned the book to find the easiest recipe to attempt first. I'm not very good at trying things again and again, if I get it wrong and when it comes to food, it I don't make it right I buy it in – hahahahaha.

So, my first major attempt at baking was, Oat and Raisin Biscuits which is found on page 96. To prove it was the easiest recipe, it's got a sign on the page saying Easy For Kids- yep that's me and that shows how nervous I am about baking.

Here is the recipe and it makes about 30 really yummy biscuits.

125g unsalted butter, softened
150g light brown muscovado sugar
1 large free-range egg at room temperature
1 tbs full-fat or semi-skimmed milk
½ tsp of vanilla extract
100g self raising flour
75g raisins
150 porridge oats – make sure they're normal oats and not instant oats or porridge mix

1-2 greased baking sheets – just rub some butter in your hands and rub on the paper.

Prehead the over to 180C. Put the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until pale and fluffy in texture. In another bowl beat the egg with the milk and vanilla until just combined, then beat into the butter mixture. Add the flour, raisins and oats to the bowl and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.

Put heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets, placing well apart to allow for spreading (Bake in batches if necessary). Bake for 12 to 15 mintues or until the biscuits are lightly browned around the edges.

Remove from the oven and leave the biscuits to cool and firm up on the sheets for a couple of minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Store the biscuits in an airtight container and eat within 5 days.

As the book said it was very easy to follow without anything scary. In fact I couldn't wait for them to cool down completely and had to scoff a few and they were very tasty. I also had great fun following this recipe although mixing the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon is rather tiring. It was so hard I would prefer to do a one hour work out at the gym. I might even give up my gym membership as it will be more fun and cheaper mixing cake and biscuit recipes hahaha. One of the first things I am going to do is purchase an electric mixer, seeing as I'm going to do a lot more baking!

I will let you know how I get on and add them to the blog as well as watch the TV programmes and if I miss any then I will watch on iplayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

RRP £25 which can be purchased at any decent book store or website

No comments: