Thursday, 14 July 2011

Pumpkin and Spilt Pea Tagine


I was a vegetarian for over 12 years, but could not resist roast chicken and ended up eating meat again. However I decided it was time to start eating more vegetarian meals. So I was scanning through some books and came across one that very much appealed to me. It was a dish called pumpkin and split pea tagine. It had some of my favourite spices and I just love split peas.My only concern is that pumpkin is not in season and wondered what I could use instead. So, after a bit of thought I realised I could use Butternut Squash. Unfortunately there was another problem; I am not a fan of Butternut Squash, but hey, I like the dish and so thought why not try it out and see how it goes. Guess what, it was great but then it was a recipe from Australian Woman's Weekly again. Try it out and see what you think.


Here is the recipes:

200g (1cup) green split peas – I used yellow split peas which were just a s good
olive oil
1 Medium Onion chopped finely
2 cloves of garlic crushed
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon sweet paprika (I used normal paprika)
1 teaspoon of ground allspice – I had allspice seeds and ground in a mortar & pestle
1kg pumpkin (but as I said earlier I used butternut squash)
400g tinned tomatoes
250ml (1 cup) water
250ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
2 tablespoon of honey (I didn't use it as didn't have any)
200g green beans timed and chopped coarsely
large handful of chopped coriander

  1. Cook the split peas in boiling water until just tender, rinse under cold water and drain – IMPORTANT – read package label as they might need to be soaked over night
  2. Meanwhile heat oil in large saucepan, cook onion stirring until softened. Add garlic and spices, cook, stirring for about 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add pumpkin (or butternut squash) stir it in and coat in the spice mixture
  3. Stir in the tomatoes, water and stock, bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes (if using butternut squash cook for about 40 minutes) or until just tender. Stir in the honey (if using), green beans and split peas. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes or until beans are just tender. Remove from heat and stir in coriander.
  4. I served with Couscous which I added lemon juice and chopped coriander to.

If you like this recipe you can get the book at


I have tried several other recipes from this book, such as tomato,olive and radish salad, chicken chermoulla, coriander and chilli grilled chicken fillets and my favourite chicken, cinnamon and prune tagine (even though I am not a fan of fruit in savoury dishes)

No comments: