Thursday, 14 July 2011

Honey Bees



What an mad 30 minutes I've just had. I have two bee hives in my garden, which we are suppose to be keeping so we can have some honey - not that we've had any after 3 years - but that's another story.


My neighbour just came around to say there where thousands of bee flying around his garden, so went outside and he was right (not that I was expecting him to be wrong).

So I went out around the back of his garden and there they were; thousands of bees flying around . Swarming is when the old queen flies off with a load of her bees to start off a new colony. The bees would have made a new queen from a worker bee larvae by feeding it royal jelly.The new queen then will leave the old hive, mate and then start a new brood in the old hive. Unfortunately without humans, it's very difficult for them to survive, so luckily I was able to get in contact with the British Bee Keeping Association and they just sent two guys around to come and take the swarm away.

If you're interested in starting Bee Keeping and maybe getting some honey, visit the British Bee Keeping Association at http://www.bbka.org.uk/ - ps, if you do keep bees and you've got some honey – send me some :-)

If Interested in Bee Keeping and maybe getting some honey visit – the British Bee Keeping Association at http://www.bbka.org.uk/ - ps, if you do keep bees and you've got some honey – send me some :-)

No comments: