Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Veal (Beef) with Parsley and Capers


I love slow cooked food and last night I cooked Veal with Parsley and Capers. The recipe comes from the wonderful book The Australian Woman Weekly (AWW) book called, of course, Slow Cooking. This was the first time I had used this book, although I have several other AWW publications and would highily recommend them.

I had to modify this recipe because I do not have a slow cooker and I couldn't get any bacon bones. Also I have an issue with veal, which I will discuss in another posting. So instead of veal I used beef stewing steak and smoked back bacon instead of bacon bones.(All in all a cheaper version as it's going to be cooked for so long)


Directly below are the instructions from the book and underneath that are the modifications I made


This Serves 6

1.2kg (2.5lbs) boned veal shoulder (or beef)

50g (½ cup) plain flour

60ml (¼cup)Olive Oil

8 Shallots

375g (12oz) button mushroom

250ml (1 cup) dry white wine

4 bacon bones

250ml (1 cup) chicken Stock

4 bay leaves

120g (1 cup) frozen peas

3 tablespoon (1 cup) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1 tablespoon rinsed, drained baby capers

2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind

2 cloves garlic, chopped finely

Coat veal in flour; shake off excess. Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in large frying pan; cook veal, in batches, until browned all over transfer veal to 4.5 litre (18 cup) slow cooker.

Meanwhile, peel shallots, leave roots intact. Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook shallots and mushrooms, stirring until browned. Add wine, bring to the boil; boil uncovered until reduced by half.

Add bacon bones (or two rashers of smoked back bacon as I did) stock, bay leaves and shallot mixture to cooker and cook covered for 6 hours (see my note below).

Discard bacon bones (no need if just using bacon of course!) and bay leaves. Stir in peas, parsley, capers, lemon rind and garlic and cook for another 15-30 minutes; season to taste.


As I wasn’t using a slow cooker, but a normal casserole pot, I had to keep an eye on the cooking to ensure it did not dry out and had to add water several times. I heated the oven to 180C for twenty minutes and then reduced to 140C for the rest of the cooking time.

Below is the link to purchase the Slow Cooking book and also the AWW website. Enjoy!

No comments: