Friday, 15 July 2011

BREAKFAST


One meal of the day I can't get excited about is breakfast. Although I don't miss my first morning meal, it is always a struggle on what to have. Although there is really only one breakfast to have and that is the Full English. Unfortunately you cannot eat this on a daily basis because it is not very healthy. There is no recipe for a Full English, but can contain any of the following; Bacon, Sausage, Black Pudding (one of my favourites), White Pudding, Baked Beans, Grilled or Tinned Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Eggs (scrambled or fried), Hash Browns, Toast and Tea. Hmmm listing all those things has made me hungry and I've just had my sensible breakfast (more about that soon). There are healthier versions of the Full English, but they aren't the same.
Also the Full English is the prefect hangover meal so you can understand why it is so popular in the UK :-)

This clip shows you how to make a Full English Breakfast


As I try to keep fit, I need a breakfast that will help me sustain my stamina. I am not a fan of shop bought cereals and muesli (too much salt, sugar and expensive) so I decided that I would make my own. However what ingredients to put in it and after many versions I have finally created what I think is a healthy breakfast. The ingredients I have listed below make a batch that lasts about two weeks. Just mix them altogether and place in a air tight container.

500g Rolled Oats
100g Oat Bran
75g Mixed Seeds
100g Dried Cranberries
100g Dried Blueberries
100g Rye Flakes

I put an amount in a bowl and add soya milk. In the early days I used to have it with cow's milk, but decided that soya milk is healthier. It wasn't easy to change over to soya milk as it has such a different taste and it took some time to adjust to. But I believe in the adage, 'after eating something you don't like 11 times you will get use to it' and that is exactly what I did with soya and now very rarely have cow's milk. I have also done this with other foods that are good for you and it really does work.

Eating this everyday can and does get a bit tedious so I mix this up during the week with different dishes. Beans on Toast (I add tabasco sauce to give a kick), Smoked Salmon with Scrambled Eggs (this can be expensive so I buy the cheap trimmings) and of course the Full English ;-)

No comments: